autodim mirror wiring ?

stockgp

i got an autodim mirror from a regency at the j/y. all three wires for it are black. none of them have a stripe or anything. how do i wire it up? and why three wires? i figured it would just be a power and ground

i got an autodim mirror from a regency at the j/y. all three wires for it are black. none of them have a stripe or anything. how do i wire it up? and why three wires? i figured it would just be a power and ground

Getting power to something requires two wires, not one. Current has to flow in and out.

First off what kind of wires does your car have in that region to begin with, if any at all? Most of the mirrors work off the same three wires fed through the headliner which hook up through a harness to a 3 pin connector on the miror itself. So I we need to know what connections your mirror has and what your car has in order to go any further.

I have a feeling though that if everything is unmarked your just going to have to try differant wire combos untill you find one that works.

i have the gp overhead console thing with the dome light, two reading lamps, and a little pocket. i just didn't want to mess it up trying different wire combos. maybe on is a ground, one hooks up to the dash lights maybe (so it dims when the headlights are turned on?), and one is a power for the photo sensor?

one's a ground, one's constant power fed through the switches on the mirror, and one's powered only when the interior light switch is on/doors are open. Get a test light and try two of them at a time. with the switches off only 1 pair of wires should make them work. when you find those two, you have the ground and door jamb/int light switch power wire. do the same to the wires in the car. if something suddenly doesn't work, just swap the first two wires around because they're probably backwards.

edit: I think? :?