I need help with 1997 and up GTP's

Dannymik

This past winter I was on the hunt for a TGP and never scored a deal. One of my concerns was that I'm not a mechanic and up until this past month there weren't any real nice ones for sale...most had high mileage and a list of issues. Now I have been eyeing the 1997-2003 GTP's. I know that the price is going to hurt a bit, but you can't go wrong with the 3800. I want something that is not a headache/reliable and has a good aftermarket if I get the itching for more speed. I've heard a few rumbles in here about the problems the '97 GTP's have. Now if any of you were in my shoes what year/years would you be intersted in? Personally I have been trying to avoid the '97/'98 models, but thats only cas I don't feel comfortable with buying those years. Any specific help on the differences between the model years would be of great help....you know the good, the bad, and the ugly! :think:

This is a decent guide to "differences" over the years.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2315

I haven't heard anything too bad about 97-98 model GTP's(the 97's are the ones people usually say to stay away from) myself, I've seen a few around here with pretty high mileage still running strong with very few problems.

The 97's and possibly the 98's are cheaper on insurance though because insurance companies only considered it a GT, not a GTP. Also, it seems as if only half of the 97' and 98's had problems and the other half were perfectly fine. Mainly the problems i've heard with these years are electrical problems.

99-00 best years imo. Digital climate control and have performance shift button. In 01 they did away with both of those features and you get manual dual climate control. If you get a good deal on a 97 or 98 go for it. I havent heard much bad about them.

a small update on my GTP shopping. One of my partners at work told me today that his dad is looking to sell his '97 GTP, because he is interested in that new Dodge Magnum. His dad is in his 60's and a motorhead. He also owns a Lightning which is his baby. From what I heard it has had no known electrical problems thus far, just your basic maitenance. I will find out more tomorrow in detail, but its a coupe, the dark "hunter" green, I think the gold crosslaced wheels, obviously leather(tan), and about mid 80's for mileage. This car has been garage kept and serviced as recommended. The rough price that I was told was $4500, so that sounds very affortable and fair for me. Now I need to find some pictures of a GTP in Hunter green with gold wheels(not my favorite).

Well I was told to forget about the car. The guy at work said that its been in the shop numerour amounts of times, but then again he doesn't know for sure what was the problem/s. I don't think he wants his father to sell it to a person that he works with in case it gives me trouble. I'm sure I'll find out more this upcoming week.

This is the reason I want to stick with my guns on the '99 and up models...I have no time and patience for a pile of electrical problems :roll: .

I don't blame you. My 2000 hasn't given me one problem yet.

dude thats a really good price from what i've seen. I'm gettin a 97 for about $2800, but that's with like 140,ooo mi, a broken sail window, and a dented quarter panel. The only electrical problems, from what i've read, is if you're thinking of doing a custom pcm (you can't mod as many settings, etc.) A lot of 97 drivers have gone to 99+ wiring. Shoot, if i found one for that price i'd probably buy it instead of this one just to have lower mi and in better condition.

This is the reason I want to stick with my guns on the '99 and up models...I have no time and patience for a pile of electrical problems :roll: .

Have any HUD dimming issues? My 01 suffers from the HUD issue...I believe most do this from a bad solder joint on the photo cell, I've been lazy and haven't got around to resoldering that.

the electrical problems aren't that bad a new harnas here or there its really not bad at all,.apparently that hunter green was only produced in 97 and was the most rare color on a 97 gp, but thats just hearsay...

Have any HUD dimming issues? My 01 suffers from the HUD issue...I believe most do this from a bad solder joint on the photo cell, I've been lazy and haven't got around to resoldering that.

Never had a problem with the hud dimming. But now I remember I had to replace a few bulbs in the dic. Othere then that no problems.