Sanded Tips/Crackling/Stain/Damage (DUW)

Kalgorn

Well I decided to sand my exhaust tips this weekend after I changed my oil. They look crazy amounts betters.

BEFORE:

lumina5.jpg

AFTER:

lumina2%20001.jpg

lumina2%20002.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

This is the crackling in my paint or something. I'm not sure what it really is. You can't feel it so I don't think it's the clear coat unless there's multiple layers of clear and it's a bottom coat that's cracking. Maybe it's the paint... I dunno. It fucking blows.

lumina2%20003.jpg

lumina2%20004.jpg

The mysterious stain... WTF

I have no idea what this is but I can't get it to come out. I tried washing it, clay bar, wax, color booster, etc.

lumina2%20005.jpg

Somebody apparently hit me in a parking lot or something. It's tough to see the damage in this picture but it's their. They broke my headlight too.. I have to replace that. I love people. :roll:

lumina2%20006.jpg

i did the same thing to my tips recently, when i bought the car i thought they were flat black, 20 minutes with steel wool later they looked like yours, i love em.

i'd be livid if someone smashed my car like that :evil:

I would suggest spraying some black under coating on the muffler body being careful to avoid the tips. It will clean up the rest of the look.

As for the webbed paint. It's the primer. GM royally screwed up on quite a few cars late 80's to mid 90's. The only way around it is by having the car stripped down to metal. Reprimed, Chemically Sealed and Repainted Basecoat - Clear coat.

Yours is a lot worse than my sister-inlaw's Marquis. Her clear coat is stripping off the car like skin from a sunburn.

...when i bought the car i thought they were flat black...

I thought the same thing untill I saw the ones on EurosportZ34's car at the meet. All the ones I've seen have been exhaust stained so I thought they came from the factory painted black/dark gray. They look kick ass when shined up though.

Oh, and as for spraying down the mufflers I'd recomend getting some low gloss engine block paint with ceramic in it. It will only run you like $4 a can and it won't cause the mufflers to hold excess heat like an undercoating spray would. I did it to the mufflers on my Cutlass and it looks great.

Hmm.. I might have to look into that paint. I'm assuming it wouldn't matter if I spray the underbody of the car with the paint too, right? I plan to replace the mufflers at some point so I'm not going to put too much effort into cleaning them up.

i can vouch that stock GTP tips look good sanded like yours. a friend of mine took a small sander to the tips of my gf's GTP. He went round the edge of um and it brightens it up real nice.

No, the car has never been repainted except maybe the driver's door. When I was in the door replacing the window motor there were metal shavings like from a drill and it looked like some pop-rivots were drilled out and laying inside the door. There were a couple more reasons but I can't remember them... it looked like it may have been in an accident.

GM should put a fucking recall on this shit... :roll:

If it comes down to it, do you think a repaint of the roof and deck lid would be worth it? I would get the front bumper done too since that looks like asscrap.

that weird stain looks like someone sprayed hot liquid on the paint...IE oepned the radiatior while hot and it sprayed on the paint...same thing happened on one of my previous cars....took forever to get rid of it