Stupid freakin' Alternator

WhiteOut

Alright, which one of you guys at the meet sabotaged my alternator??? Just kidding...I'm glad this happened after the meet though.

But anyways, all hell broke loose on the way to work last night. My tach and speedo were going nuts swinging back and forth, the LCD's on my climate and radio controls were flickering in brightness, the voltage dummy light couldn't decide whether or not to stay lit, and the damn thing idled like ass. I think I'm about two seconds away from alternator failure...in fact I'm surprised I made the twenty minute drive home alright.

Someone at work mentioned something about disconecting the exhuast at the down tube in order to facilitate removing the alternator, anyone know if this is a viable alternative to removing the passenger side axle/hub assembly?

no idea on that one, i doubt it though.

i found it best to go through the pass side AND drop part of the cradle, made it 10x easier.

What is this know how you speak of? I have a feeling this is going to suck, on the plus side my parents are out of town and I get to drive my Dad's Regal GSE untill I fix my car.

I'm not sure about all that. I've never done it myself on the 3.4, but I heard that taking the passenger wheel off helps out alot. Goodluck and lemme know how it turns out! hehehe... :lol:

bwahaha, i payed an unwitting shop to do it when my alternator went on my Z. And fortunatly for me (unfortunatly for them) the alternator they put it went kaput not a month later so they had to do it again for free :lol:

It's not that bad if you pop the axle shaft out. I've done it and in my opinion, it's easier than dropping the engine cradle and all that crap. Once you get the shaft out and the metal guard off it is very accessible.