Heard the funniest thing about the 3.4 DOHC motor today

90TGP

Went to look at a 96 GTP today, but passed on it. Was rear ended, didn't believe the timing belt was replaced, sunroof was broken with the switch hanging from the roof.

Anyway, I asked if the timing belt was replaced. The guy at the used car lot said "yeah, got it done for a $100 or so". :lol:

I'm not seeing the point here about the 3.4 since the GTP doesn't have a 3.4... I thought it had a 3800.

I can see that the funny part is that the timing belt was replaced for 100 bucks but I don't see the relevance to the 3.4

I'm not seeing the point here about the 3.4 since the GTP doesn't have a 3.4... I thought it had a 3800.

The pre97 GTP's were the actual good ones...how can you forget about them? :roll:

actually the 91-96 GTPs did have the 3.4

97 - current have the s/c 3800

97-current also have a NA 3800 :wink:

We're talking about GTP's.

I didn't pay any attention to the remark above what I replied to..doh! :x

Arent they ultra rare?

ya know i remeber billy96gtp going on and on about how "rare" the 96s were and in the past several months i've probably a dozen or so up for sale or members here own them :lol: :lol:

actually the 91-96 GTPs did have the 3.4

97 - current have the s/c 3800

97-current also have a NA 3800 :wink:

We're talking about GTP's.

I didn't pay any attention to the remark above what I replied to..doh! :x

:lol: i really should be :boring:

Maybe he finds that funny because mechanics dont like to replace (or adjust timing period) belts on our engines [3.4l dohc] ? and 100$ i can see that because maybe he was referring to timing or maybe not after all i know nothing :-O, i have herd stories of mechanics refusing to do that. I wish everything was still rear wheel :-/

I wish everything was still rear wheel :-/

What does rear wheel drive have to do with DOHC being a pain to work on?

I don't think mechanics hate it because its hard to get at, because its really not all that bad, I'd guess they hate it becuase it requires some skill not to screw it up and they actually have to use their brains to do the job.

Personally I'd guess that if he said he had the "timing belt" replaced for a $100 that what he really meant was that he had the serpentine belt replaced ($40 part+plus an hour or so of labor=$100).

I just wish old GM would have taken a play out of the Quad 4 playbook and run a chain on the 3.4...I kinda pitty you guys for how much money it costs to repair/mantain a 3.4. But then again you are faster than my 3100...but 3100 replacement parts grow on trees LOL

3.4's are the root of all evil.

3.4's aren't the root of all evil, being a slave to the money which you are garunteed to spend on the 3.4 is the root of all evil. That and girls.

So true.

The funniest part about the X motor to me is the fake cam-in-block to drive the fake distributor.......so you can finally have an oil pump. Why not just have a properly operated pump?

So true.

The funniest part about the X motor to me is the fake cam-in-block to drive the fake distributor.......so you can finally have an oil pump. Why not just have a properly operated pump?

all 60 degree V6s have the fake distributor....coil packed ones that is.