Need help removing steering wheel with radio controls

SnowDrift

I need to replace the turn signal switch (and possibly the ignition switch) in my '93 GP, but I have all the radio controls in the wheel. Can someone give me directions for removing this? I've had plenty of steering wheels off in the past, but nothing ever like this. For a +$100 switch, I'm hoping to be able to put the thing in myself instead of paying someone.

The problem is that occasionally when I use the right signal, I get a little stream of smoke coming up from the column. Also, on occasion, I get the same smoke with turning the ignition for the first time in the morning. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing they're related.

Thanks,

SnowDrift

thanks for the tips. I didn't really consider a junkyard because there's no promise that I would not be getting another part that was bad, as well. From what I hear, this isn't all that uncommon on these cars. Might as well get a new one and be done with it, rather than spend the cash to buy a used one that may be the same way.

So, turby, are you saying the controls are separate from the rest of this wheel? If so, then that makes life much easier.

SnowDrift

Guest Anonymous
So, turby, are you saying the controls are separate from the rest of this wheel?

Yes, they pull out and then you unplug them from the wheel. The connector is behind the controls. You'll see it once you get the controls out.

how do you pull the wheel to get to the turn signal switch? i have teh same problem.

:motz2:

Take off the steering wheel controls. Remove the washer on the nut. Loosen and remove the nut. Get a steering wheel puller. Use it.

There.

I was looking at the radio controls and wondering what the best way is to get ahold of the radio controls without prying on the buttons. Are the horn buttons separate from the radio? I guess I thought if I could get ahold of the bar that says "Pontiac" that I could pull the whole this out.

Sorry for the extra questions, but usually when there is plastic involved, I'm not as patient as I should be.

Thanks,

SnowDrift

I was looking at the radio controls and wondering what the best way is to get ahold of the radio controls without prying on the buttons. Are the horn buttons separate from the radio? I guess I thought if I could get ahold of the bar that says "Pontiac" that I could pull the whole this out.

Sorry for the extra questions, but usually when there is plastic involved, I'm not as patient as I should be.

Thanks,

SnowDrift

Stick a small screw driver in at the very top of the wheel and push it in. Pry the controls out this way. You can remove one of the horn buttons, but you risk breaking it. Just be sure you're not pulling or forcing a button, just the control unit itself.