Tint removal

god910

I was watching like, pimp my ride, or some other random show, and they were showing short (like 5 seconds) clips of these guys working while removing the tint to replace it. I want to get the tint off my Cutty and my auto TGP. Here's the question: They were using a small handheld propane torch (which I have) and I'm guessing they were just using the flame tip (just looks like a big lighter) and running it back and forth (on the outside) while pulling on the tint from the inside. I just want to see if anyone else has done anything like this, and if that's all there is to it... I tried the whole razor deal, and it took me like 2 hours before I gave up because A) there was only like 1 sq. ft. gone and B) it was leaving the adhesive all over.

Tips/tricks/hints welcome TIA.

I tried the whole "tint my own windows" thing many years ago. I seem to remember using a mixture of one teaspoon of lemon dish detergent and a half gallon of water placed in a spray bottle. Use a razor and scrape away a small section away from the window and start spraying between the window and the tint with the soap/water mix and either pull the tint or use the razor, but keep the area plenty wet. That was the key was to keep it wet so it would loosen the adhesive...

Anyone know how much tint shops charge to take off old tint? Mine has really light tint and I want to replace it with 20-30%

Usually I am one to try things myself but I don't wanna chance wrecking my nice interior.

Anyone know how much tint shops charge to take off old tint? Mine has really light tint and I want to replace it with 20-30%

Usually I am one to try things myself but I don't wanna chance wrecking my nice interior.

You can just put another layer over it like the guy before me did with my cutlass! :lol:

before you darken your tint make sure to check local laws. i had 35% and the cop that drives around my college tried to give me a ticket until i asked him if he had his light meter handy and its service records were up to date and all he did was give me a warning. i think i pissed him off but i know the law and was not going to get a ticket for it. been there done that. it woln't happen again. also, he hasn't bothered me since

If you can get your hands on some Ammonia, it will take tint off. I am not sure what % we used to mix with water but I would guess no more than 10-15%ammonia/85% water in a spray bottle will work. Spray on before and let set and then behind the tint as you are pulling and it will help remove. Thats how we would do it at a dealership I used to work at.

Thats why they tell you NOT to use Windex and similar cleaners on tints cause it will F-up the tint. Only use ammonia free cleaners on tinted windows.

Peel it off as much as possible. Caot it with nail polish remover (accetone, it eats the plastic and glue) then scrape it. should come off real easy. Use a window fan for ventalation as nail polish remover sticks to high hell but it should work. It took 15 year old tint off of my rivy back glass.