Strut Tower Questions

dsgrntld187

Hey guys,

I'm gonna get a strut tower bar for my car, and I'm wondering what the torque specs for the bolts are (if any, I'm betting there is some) and what would the proper way to install it be? Thanks,

-Spencer

Guest Anonymous
How would I install it without the struts falling out or is that inevitable?

The struts won't fall out. Just don't jack the car up with the plates off. If you jack the car up with those plates off the whole strut/knuckle assembly will come out.

Thanks for the tips, but now I guess the question I should of originally asked is will the 97-02 GP Strut Bar fit? The ones that go from the tower to the front of the car look exactly the same so I presume they will fit, but I have no clue about the one that goes over the engine.

I know the 97+ bar that goes between the strut towers won't fit. I'm pretty sure the other bars won't either.

I think he's talking about the GMPP bar....and it will fit. Ive got one on my STE

The STB won't fit, not to mention it's open in the middle of the strut areas which on the gen 1 strut/knuckle design would mean the strut shaft popping out and poking through your hood.

Only one of the diagonal braces from a gen 2 will fit. Ours are equal length, gen 2 is not.

I was under the impression that you put the cap over the open area so it'd still look the same except for the bar going across.. you know what i mean..?

I was under the impression that you put the cap over the open area so it'd still look the same except for the bar going across.. you know what i mean..?

That wouldn't work because where the bars are welded to it, the cap wouldn't be able to sit.

Also, I believe patgizz found out the bolt pattern and width of a 97+ bolt-on STB is completely different than a gen 1 W-body.