TGP problem!!!

tgpguy21

Ok so i went out to start up my car for the first time in like 7-8 months and it started up the first time i turned the key. Took it around the block a couple of times and parked it and it died. Tried cranking it over and i sounded like it was out of gas, even though the gas gauge was reading almost full. so went to town and got gas put it in and still wouldnt start. Every time you turn the key it either sounds like its starts and when you let go of the ket it dies or it idles to like 1200 rpm (maybe a little higher) and as it comes back down to idle it dies. any ideas? maybe a bad fuel pump cause it did also die when i was driving it. Bad Gas from it sitting in there for so long? Any ideas would be helpful thanks guys.

My not so good condition AWD did the same thing a few weeks ago. Bare with me, this is a bit of a long story, causing the domino effect that lead up to the current circumstance. I had the ABS start squirting out the side of the pump motor about 2 years ago, so I decided to stop driving it. Unfortunately, this was right when the emissions test was due. I explained why it couldn't be done, but they wouldn't grant me an extension, and so the plates were suspended 2 years ago. I've started it periodically since then so that the parts wouldn't rot away. Anyways, I found a complete assembely in the yard about a year ago, and a buddy of mine who was visiting from VA pulled it, and installed it for me. Just needed to be bled. I've been putting it off, but I wanted to get it over with so I could use her in the winter at least. Well, since I moved to mu current apartment, the management has been all over the car not having a current sticker on the plates. I explained what had happened to the maintenence guy one day when he was putting a sticker on it to have it towed, and that I had to go to the DMV, find out what forms I needed to get a temporary permitt to take her to emissions, and then go back to the DMV to get the plates updated after it passed, so it was going to take some time. He said fine, but just get it taken care of as quick as possible. Then he had it towed the following week with no warning or anything, anyway. Needless to say, I was a bit pissed. So I went to management and got permission from them to keep the car from getting towed till the problem was taken care of.

So I finally had her ready to take her down to emissions. To make sure everything was going to go smoothely, I started her up, and let her idle for a bit. I drove around the parking lot a couple times, and then put her back in the parking space, but then she died on her own! She hasn't started up since! Just cranks and cranks and cranks, sometimes turning over, and immediately dying. After all this time, now THIS? Yeah, I was a wee bit frustrated. That same buddy of mine from VA was here and had some time to look at it. He found it wasn't getting any spark. So now I'm going to have to try the coils and ICM. Nice freaking timing. I couldn't care less, except the management at my apartments has been on my case about getting that thing done since I last talked to them 3 months ago. They put another towing sticker on it last week, so I went down to the DMV a few days ago and at least finally got the 7-day permitt to keep it from getting towed. I can do this 3 times in total, so obviously this isn't much of a solution. I think I need to get rid of that one. :shock: Too many cars, not enough time to work on them. It's just that I've spent so much money replacing parts on that car, that I'm going to get burned badly on it no matter what I get for it.

So, point of all this for you is that it may not even be a fuel issue. You may want to check for spark, too.

the thing is i just put in new plugs and wires before i started it up. Its just weird that it would run then die instantly. So Ill go back check and make sure its getting spark but i have a feeling its something else.

Advance Auto, Sears, etc. all have a fuel pressure tester that will give you an accurate reading of what the pump is pushing. IIRC It's 47 to prime and around 40 lbs at idle. That's where I would start, along with spark. Crank sensor could be an issue also.