Cone Filter Question..

cs-x

I've changed my stock air filter to the cone, but I need to know what I'm supposed to do with the MAF sensor? I pulled the sensor off the old box and plugged it in, but can that be good for my engine? If not, what should I do?

For those of you not in the know, I drive THE BEST 89 Cutlass in Calgary. Pics will follow

I've changed my stock air filter to the cone, but I need to know what I'm supposed to do with the MAF sensor? I pulled the sensor off the old box and plugged it in, but can that be good for my engine? If not, what should I do?

For those of you not in the know, I drive THE BEST 89 Cutlass in Calgary. Pics will follow

That is odd that you have a MAF on a 1989. Did you have the round style airbox too? That was a 1988 thing maybe they used old parts in the factory...

Anyways if you do have a 2.8 w/MAF and round style airbox, you should change it to what 1989 is suppose to be like. Find a 2.8 w/ square airbox (1989) and get the VSS, Memcal chip for the computer, and the IAT sensor from a square box (that wires up to the existing MAF wire harness).

Hello,

Sounds more like a IAT then a MAF...small, looks almost like an O2 sensor? When I installed my 9" cone on my 3.4, I just taped it up so it didn't get dirty and stuffed it somewhere in the engine compartment next to the brake booster. It doesn't change the fuel table that much and ball park temperature should be fine for our uses. That's my .02.

FYI the 2.8s and 3.1s don't benifit from a cone filter being put on them Ask Brian P about it he knows what i'm talking about. i recommend keeping the stock air box in that cutlass with the snorkel thing.

so much fuss over the stock or cone filter debate. i say just get one if you really want to and if you get more peformance then good and if you dont just sell it to a stupid rice boy and say it adds 50 hp and put the stocker back in place

I just know that I lost SEVERAL tenths of a second with a cone attached to stock air hose VS. hacked stock airbox (with a full snorkle I'm sure it would have done even better).

If you want a cone take the effort and money and make a FWI or CAI or you are just sucking in hot air.....

Thanks for all the replies!

My bad though, it is an IAF sensor, not a MAF. I have (had) the 2.8 with the rectangular box. To add to the debate though, I do notice considerable performance off a cold start, but nothing after driving a while.

And this cone came off my friend's civic.. it didn't work for him. Maybe it couldn't handle the extra hp? :lol: :lol:

So here I sit with the best cutlass in Calgary, and it's only getting better. What else can I do for performance mods? I'm all show with factory go, and I always get the racers wanting to race at lights, but I can't yet. Help me get there so I can smoke these ricers

i'll say one thing lose the weak ass 2.8 i have one in my car and i hate it of course it was alot faster then a 83 suburban at the time :oops:

:werd:

Find a 3100 or bigger. My 95 hauls ass compared to my 88!!

I'll tell you all what.. If you live by or in Calgary, I invite you to test drive my 89 cutlass. It is without a doubt the most reliable and fastest car I've ever known. Not to mention you get a sweet look from all the honeys in my ride.. and no they're not 40+ :P

Trust me, my girlfriend has a 91 regal (3.1) and it doean't even compare to my 2.8. It's almost like comparing a pinto to my car. Isn't the 3.1 supposed to be the superior of the two? It's not even close. Apples and oranges I say!

I don't know.. maybe I got a new motor with mine when I bought it 6 years ago, but it's always outperformed past anyone's expectations. The best part is I have 155,000 miles on it. I would give the km conversion, but that shows 'Error'. BTW, the only problem with the car is that.. Olds never should have been killed.

I swear guys.. as soon as I get some free time (aside from bragging :P), I will take and post some pics.. I painted it and it looks VERY sweet escpecially on the 7 spoke 17/235's; the ultimate compliment to the ultimate car

I'll tell you all what.. If you live by or in Calgary, I invite you to test drive my 89 cutlass. It is without a doubt the most reliable and fastest car I've ever known. Not to mention you get a sweet look from all the honeys in my ride.. and no they're not 40+ :P

Trust me, my girlfriend has a 91 regal (3.1) and it doean't even compare to my 2.8. It's almost like comparing a pinto to my car. Isn't the 3.1 supposed to be the superior of the two? It's not even close. Apples and oranges I say!

I don't know.. maybe I got a new motor with mine when I bought it 6 years ago, but it's always outperformed past anyone's expectations. The best part is I have 155,000 miles on it. I would give the km conversion, but that shows 'Error'. BTW, the only problem with the car is that.. Olds never should have been killed.

I swear guys.. as soon as I get some free time (aside from bragging :P), I will take and post some pics.. I painted it and it looks VERY sweet escpecially on the 7 spoke 17/235's; the ultimate compliment to the ultimate car

Not totally sure what you're on, but if the Cutlass is the fastest car you've driven.. :roll:

Plus, 2.8's are worse mid/high-end dogs than 3.1's. Maybe yours is some sort of a freak.. but of the 2.8's I've driven, they're horribly slow. Even the low end is bad. Anyhow, aside from the bragging, I'm waiting for the pictures!

Not totally sure what you're on, but if the Cutlass is the fastest car you've driven.. :roll:

Plus, 2.8's are worse mid/high-end dogs than 3.1's. Maybe yours is some sort of a freak.. but of the 2.8's I've driven, they're horribly slow. Even the low end is bad. Anyhow, aside from the bragging, I'm waiting for the pictures!

The low end sucks, but it's not too bad when you step on it at ~30MPH, it gets up and out of it's own way. It is pretty slow compared to both the 1st and 2nd gen GTP's I've test driven.

2.8 faster than a 3.1? Possibley... if your 2.8 is a factory freak and the 3.1 isn't running 100%. 3100 will still knock'm dead though. I agree with the guys I think you are on crack.. Cutlass is a nice car but there's gotta be a guy with a Grand Prix somewhere near where you live, unless is a hillbilly trunk town. :lol: