Head Gasket or Timing ?

cryptnix

today i was backing up my car ... it was/has been running ... pulled up to far ... backed up ... gave it some gas to feel that wonderful power in reverse, looked behind me ... white smoke

no loss of power ...

the smell it rank ...

did i just eat some oil?

or ... god don't break bad news to me please ... i checked the oil still brown/black ... :P no shakes yet ... looked at coolant ... still alittle deposits in there (obviously) from my last blow of a manifold gasket ... is it possible after 40,000 miles to blow another intake/mani gasket?

plus i drove the car all day today ... no problems as far as performance ...

just that aweful sight of smoke and smell ... and the thought of doing wrong again ...

i pull the stupidest things around but ... for shits take ...

yeah, i kind of figured it would be ... but it doesn't do it when i drop it into first or ... slam it from a 5500 rpm drop it doesn't either ...

so, guys don't tell me cause i don't feel like tearing this motor down ...

:evil: GOD DAMNIT! :evil:

it doesn't overheat ... it doesn't have ANY of the symtoms of a motor thats blown ... or at least a gasket is seaping shit ... no loss of oil or nothing ...

AJKLSDF;LKASJFLKASLK;JFDALK;JFKLJALKSDFJALK;

FAKJ;LSDFKJ;LA;KSDFKJ;LASDFAJKL;SDFKJL;ADSF

KJ;LAFDALKJ;SDFJKL;ASDLKJFJ;LKASDFJ;LKASDJK

FA;LKSDJFKLJASK;LDJF;LKAJSLKDFJLK;ASJDKLFJA

LK;SJDPOIRJAFJALKSDJF ;LKASDJFM;LKAJS;FAJ;D

KF;ALKSJMFLK;ASLKFJALSDFASDFASDFASDFASSD

yeah, i just did a check on reving it up with the coolant cap off no bubbles either ...

probably just some bad gas ... i'll run some higher octane on my way to the w-body meet in holland ... let her burn her off all the way there and ... get some premium out there and shit ...

:( *sighs* :(

hopefully some good gas will fix the problem :?

i gotta ask you did you see the gas truck there when you were filling up your car?

if you did you got a bunch of crap in your gas tank because when they dump the gas into the under ground tanks it kicks up the old old junk that settles at the bottom of the tank.

i can't remember that far man ...

i usually put premium in this bitch too

but more then likely it was either there a few before or after ... who knows

the trip will tell me everything about my problems ... enough to document it :-D

Anyway, hope to see most of you folks at the meet...

its amazing though the car seems more potent when its full of gas ... is me having an air leak somewhere? :) haha

anyway i'm tired ... my sister threw a party ... kind of hard when you got a meet the next day at 11 am ... DOH

throw some injector cleaner throught that bad boy it might help. i had the same problem and it worked for awhile but then i tore the engine down completely and replaced every gasket but thats just me

a buddy of mine in Texas thought it might be a timing issue ...

that being said ... i can believe it cause i don't know of someone blowing a head gasket with no coolant or oil loss... my resivior has stayed the same ... stayed the same all the way home. oil is dark in color (no mixture) ...

so, next question is how do i check the timing?!

Is your car still smoking? Does it do it when its warm or just cold?

I didn't think that timing would really be an issue with our pushrod engines..

obviously on cold mornings ... yes, very VERY little though. but other then that once its warmed up no smoke comes out. i noticed it smells somewhat rich ...

and it only seems to happen once i start the vehicle ...

i'll just go ask a mechanic but I want the "two people say the same" thing ...

so ... keep ideas and shit rolling in ... sad thing is I lost my job and I was 1 week to my goal of trying to get a personal loan to get my swap started (can't stand waiting so I want it all at once :-))

If its smoking when its cold are you sure its not burning oil? Might be worn out piston rings causing oil to come into the combustion chamber. Once it warms up they expand and it runs normal.

I think if it was the timing wouldn't it run like crap all the time?

now about he rings ... i can believe in ...

now my other issue though with having problems when it temps up and losing power ... perhaps the water pump or something!?

whatever it is ... the mech will answer my questions ... this is my first car ... and the first one i have to learn on so ... whatever.

perhaps, i should swap to a newer 3800 s/c and ... call it good and shit ... wait till shit starts happening again :-D

If its your first car and you are still learning I think you should stick to the stock engine.. swapping in a L67 will just make things more complicated. :shock:

About the heat... how hot does it get? If the water pump wasn't working it should get really hot.. or leak like a bitch like mine did.

I don't know alot about cat converters but if they get hot do they maybe get more plugged?? :shrug: Just some ideas.

i'll remove the damn cat tomorrow morning ... fuck this ...

if that cures my problem ... then damn

makes me wonder what caused my problem in the first place ...