3 Blinker wires?

MommyTaz022200

As most of you know, I'm swapping alot of my LE stuff for the B4U stuff. My blinkers had 2 wires for the socket, the B4U has 3 wires. Is the third wire just a ground? It looks like it is in my wiring diagrams, but I want to be sure. Also what is the reason for the 3rd wire? Do the blinkers do something different then my origional ones, that they need the extra wire?

3rd wire is usually a ground. I put an electronic flasher in my Cutlass and it needed a 3rd wire for ground. It might be you have an electronic flasher.

Guest Anonymous

Mommytaz, could you post a pic of your progress? this all sounds really cool. I think Gnat it right its probbaly a ground. Good luck with your project!

I'll post a picture as soon as my stupid digital camera is working. I don't know what the problem is with it, we took a trip to St. Louis and as soon as we got to the top of the Arch it stopped working. I tried a brand new set of batteries and it still won't turn on! I'm concidering buying a new one as soon as I'm not so broke, mine is pretty old anyway. I'm just mad because I paid over $500 for it 4 years ago, and even though it's outdated (1.3 pixels) it was still a very nice camera, and then it just quit on me.

Anyway my progress has been somewhat slow. I have to cut the sheet metal under my doors completely off the car, because it's so rusted there is almost nothing left of it. I am getting some new sheet metal bent to replace it that I will rivit onto the car. As I take the body parts off I am sanding any rust under the body parts and spraying it with rubberized undercoating. Then I am sanding any rust on the body panels and rubberizing anywhere that will be covered up by the B4U trim, or that isn't visable when looking at my car. (inside the doors, around the edges of the doors, underside of the fenders...)

So far I have the front bumper, driver's side quarter panel, and (hopefully tonight) the rear bumper on. The passenger side fender is almost ready to be put on, I just need to get some more rubberized paint to spray the frame under the fender. The blinkers and side marker lights are not hooked up yet, I wasn't sure about the blinkerscause of the wiring difference (THANK-YOU for the help!) and now just got to figure out the parking light wires. My wires are not the same color as the B4U parking lights, so I might just have to put the bulbs back in them and turn them on to see which lights just stay on. I can't remember which lights are the parking lights, and I'm not sure why it seems I have so many lights that aren't used on the B4U. I got 2 small lights that were in the bottom of my headlights, 2 bigger helogen bulbs and 3 small lights that were inside the light bar, and the 2 orange ones (those I know were the blinkers). I made my own grills because one was broken, and then replaced the screen on the vent hole by the wipers with the same stuff I used on the grills. I also repainted my wipers cause they were so faded.

I also had to fiberglass some cracks on the trim and sand down the heat shields for the tail pipes. The B4U ones I got were full of surface rust, but at least there wasn't any metal missing and they are still pretty thick. They were bent cause the yard I got them from removes the tires of all the cars before putting it in the yard, then if you want a part you can't get to they will pick the car up and put it on a stand so it's in the air. (Someone got killed a while back because they used a stack of rims to hold the car up while they cut the exhaust off and the car fell on them, so they don't want it to happen again) When they dragged the car out to get it on the forklift the shields got bent and the rear bumper and ground effects cracked a little, so I had to bend the tips back and fiberglass the cracks on the trim. I also have to drill new holes in the bottom of the rear bumper where the mudshield connects on the bottom cause the holes ripped out.

Right now lack of money is slowing me down. I probably would have been a month ago if I could just buy what I need when I need it. When I am finished the car will be all white primer. Then I want to get it painted, but I'm not real sure about trying that myself. I've used alot of paint in bottles and can't get it to look nice and shiney, and I know they do something to make the paint on the plastic flexable so I am not real confident I will be able to do a good job using a spray gun for the first time. I'm checking to see about getting it done by the students in the auto program at school, or maybe Macco but not sure about them either, I've heard people say they suck.

Well I got the blinkers and parking lights working. One thing I found that confuses me is I have a clip with 2 wires (black & Yellow) that seems to go to nothing. The clip fits on the foglights, but it does not give them power. (The same bulbs in a different plug work fine.) Anyone know what it's for?