Low coolant light

Whiskey River

Hey guys, have any of you had the low coolant light flash at you? It is flashing at a pretty consistant rate and doesn't change while driving. Is that sensor smart enough to know if the coolant mix is way off? Thanks.

why did you put straight antifreeze in there? It's suppossed to be atleast somewhere close to a 50/50 mix with water!!! Have you even opened your hood to see where the coolant level is??? :?

why did you put straight antifreeze in there? It's suppossed to be atleast somewhere close to a 50/50 mix with water!!! Have you even opened your hood to see where the coolant level is??? :?

I didn't put in straight antifreeze, please tell me where I said that. I do know how to open the hood and I have checked the coolant level before. I do not know why the light is flashing now.

Guest Anonymous

You don't know how to open the hood? Im the most mechhanically 'declined" person on the board and i cann open the hood and check the coolant, and I have a 3.4. There should be a pull switch by the drivers seat or by the pedals.

But if its broken, i apologize, i wouldnt know how to get it oopen either.

does it go off after then engine heats up? if so...you're prolly the slighest bit low on coolant

if not...the sensors got issues...could just need cleaned

Thank you for the intelligent response. It doesn't go off after the system has pressurized, typically it starts about 30 seconds after the car starts and then flashes in approx. 15 second intervals. I guess I'll live with it until this weekend and take it out and clean it.

does it go off after then engine heats up? if so...you're prolly the slighest bit low on coolant

if not...the sensors got issues...could just need cleaned

Thank you for the intelligent response. It doesn't go off after the system has pressurized, typically it starts about 30 seconds after the car starts and then flashes in approx. 15 second intervals. I guess I'll live with it until this weekend and take it out and clean it.

Yeah that's prolly the case...i've heard they can get pretty gunked up

You don't know how to open the hood? Im the most mechhanically 'declined" person on the board and i cann open the hood and check the coolant, and I have a 3.4. There should be a pull switch by the drivers seat or by the pedals.

But if its broken, i apologize, i wouldnt know how to get it oopen either.

I think you need to re-read my response to SigEpCutlass.

Guest Anonymous

sorry, i knot you said "i dont know how", i apologize.

i have so many sensor lights and warnings goingg off iin my cars i tend to just ignore them, like when "low fuel" flashes after i just filled the tank :roll:

I didn't put in straight antifreeze, please tell me where I said that. I do know how to open the hood and I have checked the coolant level before. I do not know why the light is flashing now.

i said that because you said "Is that sensor smart enough to know if the coolant mix is way off?" So that would lead me to believe that your coolant is not of the proper 50/50 mix that I mentioned. I believe that's perfectly reasonable given what you wrote. You coolant could be straight antifreeze, or an incorrect mix. I don't know how car-smart you are. If the mix is not proper, that could possibly cause the sensor to light on your dashboard.

Last time I checked you usually don't criticize or attack people you're asking for help...maybe that's just me. :roll:

Probably a bad sensor. I've had 2 go bad already.

That's what I'm thinking. The level is OK just the damn light keeps flashing. Thanks.

When I had to change the radiator on the Loomie, I removed the sensor off of the old one, and you would be surprised what was around the two posts that were inside.

I took a small flat blade screwdriver and cleaned them off really well and reinstalled the sensor on the new radiator.

I thought that this may damage my sensor, but it did not. They seem to be pretty tough.

A cleaning may be in order, or as gnat suggested it may be a bad sensor. If you take it off, leaving the top raidiator hose off made it easier for me.

My Pree needs as new one, or the old one cleaned as we speak. :?

Good luck with it. Hope that this helps.

• 1 year later...

Had the same problem about a month ago, '92 Cutlass Int'l 3.4 5 sp. Only seemed to happen at first when the ambient temperature was above 104 (I Live in Phoenix). Then it flashed annotingly at me constantly. Pulled the sensor, cleaned it off, problem solved.