Exhaust Manifold Wrap

dsgrntld187

Ok I've seen those manifold wraps that supposedly lower the engine bay temperature. Is that BS or is it true? If it's true, would wrapping the crossover by my short arm intake help at all? You'd think it would if it lowers the temp at all.

Headers and manifolds aren't quite the same thing here though. Headers are thin wall steel, and give off more heat. Manifolds are thick cast, and give off less heat. It'll still help some I would suppose though.

Pros: lower under hood temp (u can wrap the manifolds and crossover, turbo if u got 1)

Cons: manifolds/crossover will get HOTTER and could crack, any salt/dirt will corrode faster when wrapped

coating- cools it off a noticable amount, acts as a real good paint so it doesn't rust as a bonus

wrap- cools it off 10x better then ceramic coating, but it WILL trap moisture and rust out whatever is underneath.

So would this work to keep heat out? Like on my upper intercooler pipe, which is right above the turbo and gets hot as hell. I'm assuming cooling this pipe might make a slight difference.

the cooler the air the better the turbo performs

thank you king obvious, the colder the air on any motor the better.

Greg, yes wrapping the upper intake pipe in good insolation will help, we have done it on a few cars, doubt u will feel the HP increase, but it might help to run slightly higher boost levels when racing.

Header wrap usually voids the warranties on aftermarket headers, so if that gives you a clue. I'm sure it couldn't really hurt a manifold though, not easily. Maybe replace it every 6 mos?

EDIT> Actually after thinking about that, I doubt you could even remove header wrap. It's probably sticky as hell and baked on after 6 mos of like 500* temperatures.