Gutted air box pics???

jeremy

I have searched and couldn't find anything.....I am looking for actual pics of a gutted airbox.....I want to do this, but I want to see a few pics so I know exactly what to do.....

thanks in advance.

what exactly do you mean by "gutted"? Mine has the bottom all chopped out . Me and one of my buddies that has an '02 gtp did our at the same time. When I bought my car the thing only had the little hole in the front that didn't let hardly anything at all. I can get some pics up later possibly if this is what youre talking about

what exactly do you mean by "gutted"? Mine has the bottom all chopped out . Me and one of my buddies that has an '02 gtp did our at the same time. When I bought my car the thing only had the little hole in the front that didn't let hardly anything at all. I can get some pics up later possibly if this is what youre talking about

that is exactly what I am talking about, I want to see some pics, to see where people where making the cuts....does it sound any different then it did stock?

that is exactly what I am talking about, I want to see some pics, to see where people where making the cuts....does it sound any different then it did stock?

I just removed the snorkel from mine, but mine is also the older, larger one. It changed the sound, it's deeper at WOT.

I'll try to take pics of mine tonight ('91 3.1L). I have the bottom/side cut out.

It sounds much louder, at part throttle it has a burble to it. I picked up almost 1.5 mph in trap speeds doing nothing but the airbox and removing the jack and spare from the trunk (in 20ish degree warmer air on the faster runs).

- Justin

That's almost the same as mine, except I cut almost to the top of the airbox - the plastic is strong enough. I imagine that the box pictured above provides plenty of airflow though.

- Justin

I didnt feel any loss, but I didnt feel any gain either. Ive had that gutted box on for over a year with a K&N in it and its just really really loud when you get on it. Thats really the only reason I like it on there is the sound.

i too feel the same way.

Mine instead, I drilled about 50+ holes in lines on the side. We have tons of rodents arround here that like to make nests in those things.

Jon

I'll take a picture of the airbox I did on a 94 Regal(3800), it has the same airbox used on most W's w/ the 3100 if I'm not mistaken. No loss noted on the Regal at all...it's got plenty of low end for what it is, can't say I notice a gain from it either though(might help a little on the highway if any at all). I need to track test the Regal and see if it will do better or worse now w/ the gutted box..the weather here is usually pretty steady this time of year(ran the Regal this time last year) so the times shouldn't vary much. It ran a 16.747@81.93mph on a horrible 60' time(something like 2.4), I brake torqued it to about 2K and just stomped it off the line for the hell of it...tires broke loose a good bit. Someone over at clubgp supposedly ran a 15.8 in the same car(94 sedan w/ the 3800) stock save for a lower temp t-stat(cool weather also)..I believe it being that I've seen a mag test get real low 16's out of them stock.

I removed the snorkel on my '90 Cutlass 3.1 back in the day. Had it like that for over 6 months. Went to the junkyard and got an airbox complete just for the hell of it, put it back on and realized how much low-mid range I had lost with the non-snorkel airbox. Needless to say I only tried it one more time to confirm how sluggish it got w/o the snorkel. It may LOOK small, but the design of it actually speeds the flow of air- it's a venturi.

I gutted the box on my 2.8 and couldn't tell a difference in power. For those who are curious I'd first try it just without the snorkel so you can go back if you want...

Needless to say I am leaving my stock airbox the way it is on my 3100... I will get a K&N drop in when I have the money.

there is no REAL increase ... i tried it ... and lost a box :P the flat filter (i'll call it) is about the same as the circle with the flat one in there ... if that makes sense anyway ...

just run the battery to the back and slide it down that nice little hole ... seriously :) thats our only choice really ... and i'm moving my bat to the back anyway ... got another optima battery going in ... :-/ insane juice boys... (thts when i get my 4 channel kicker amp and polk componet speakers.

is it any better then replacing the box with a cone filter?

cheap cone filter or stock(no holes or anything) box with k&n drop in? whats better?

bad idea for the 3100...do a search for more info.

exactly ... the 3100 wasn't designed for high revving ... where as the 3400 comes to life really when it sucks more air on and shit correct me if i'm wrong please