93CutlassSupreme

'93 Supreme 3.1 multiport

my a/c no longer works. it blows hot air. the compressor clutch isn't engaging, so i checked the compressor relay. it didn't click or anything, so i swapped it with one of the cooling fan relays, and that relay didn't click or anything, the clutch didn't engage with that one either. that makes me think it's an electrical problem.

i haven't put any gauges on the lines yet b/c it seems to me like an electrical problem somewhere.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

If your ac system isn't charged enough, the compressor will not kick on. It might be a good idea to go ahead and hook up a manifold gauge set and check it out.

it worked fine last week and i didn't think i'd loose that much in that time.

i'll probably throw some gauges on it tomarrow to see what i have.

i'm gonna ask around tomarrow

my pop's, who's universally certified, really thinks it's an electrical problem.

try this... remove your A/C relay, start your car and engage the A/C. Take a piece of wire, and jump the contacts (#30 to #87) where your A/C relay nomally goes. This gives a direct feed to your A/C clutch. If it engages, you know your clutch is good. If no engage, get ready to swap.

try this... remove your A/C relay, start your car and engage the A/C. Take a piece of wire, and jump the contacts (#30 to #87) where your A/C relay nomally goes. This gives a direct feed to your A/C clutch. If it engages, you know your clutch is good. If no engage, get ready to swap.

does the clutch need a min. amount of refrigant pressure to engage?

i'm gonna throw some gauges on it in the next couple of days. the humidity has bad the last few days and i've been tired as hell when i come home from work anymore.

if i need a compressor, fuck it. i'll go without a/c.

Was your A/C ice cold last week?

If not then you probably just had a minimal amount of refrigerant in it just enough so that the computer turned it on. You can buy a bottle of refrigerant with a gauge for 20$ at Walmart and that should make your AC work again.

Was your A/C ice cold last week?

If not then you probably just had a minimal amount of refrigerant in it just enough so that the computer turned it on. You can buy a bottle of refrigerant with a gauge for 20$ at Walmart and that should make your AC work again.

yeah that could be it. it hasn't been converted over yet, it still has the orig r-12.

i have a manfold and shit, well actually it's my dads, but still, when i have enough motivation i will see what my pressure is

I bought a conversion kit at walmart and it works good

they do. i don't believe that bullshit that r-134a doesn't cool as well as r-12. i've never noticed a difference.

they do. i don't believe that bullshit that r-134a doesn't cool as well as r-12. i've never noticed a difference.

The R134a in my friend's Saturn cools that car better than my shitty R-12 ever did.

The R134a in my friend's Saturn cools that car better than my shitty R-12 ever did.

some cars do cool better than others

I wish I could get the coldness I have in the winter in the summer, and the heat I have in the summer in the winter with my environmental controls.. I hate it.. lol.. I have a leak I think.. I filled it wqhen I bought the car last summer, and it worked nice, but this summer, it quit.. And I was pissed..

To answer one of your questions, yes you need to have a minimum amount of R12 for the compressor to kick in. There is a low and high-pressure switch they are designed to protect the compressor from too much pressure and too little R12. The lubrication for the compressor is in the R12 so if you ran it with out enough you would damage the compressor

found out the problem

threw on some guages. i didn't have the correct adapter for the high side, but i was able to hook up the low side.

the low side gauge didn't read any pressure. to be sure, i removed the gauge and pressed on the valve to open it, it made a small hiss and then nothing.

i will be pressure-testing soon with nitrogen within the next couple of days.

while doing this, i saw a very nasty-looking a/c hose.....

• 2 years later...

ok im having the same prob i just jumped the relay with the part of wire and my comp kicked on but didnt blown cold air....could my problem just be a low leval of freon?

the car is a 96 lumina with a 3100 that has 189.000 miles

there is about a 8*-15* difference between R-134A and R12, tested it in auto class. My lumina's AC is soo damn cold it hurts. Glad to hear you got it fixed

Are you talking to Kevin?

there is about a 8*-15* difference between R-134A and R12, tested it in auto class. My lumina's AC is soo damn cold it hurts. Glad to hear you got it fixed

Wait... which one is colder???

Also, can I still buy R12 anywhere? My TGP AC has NOT been converted to R134A, and I would like to get it working for the summer.

who else would i be talking to?

who knows? Kevin hasn't posted in this thread in almost three years

Yeah, thats what I meant. Let me guess I was being an asshole right?

freeze 12, thats all I have to say.

I've heard of it, any info on it?

freeze 12 is a direct replacement, and uses the same lubricating oils too. I've used it in a R12 system and it gets just as cold. 134a systems have different calibration than R12 systems, which is why retro-fitting isn't always so successful.