Engine Cradle Bolt Recall

tloftus

Hey guys, I'm having the engine cradle bolt recall done on my '89 Cutlass. Anyone here had that done? The plate that the bolt threads into on one of the corners (Rear / Passanger) is stripped / rusted out and I wondered if they would be replacing that too under the recall or if they would charge me extra.

Thanks!

Tom

Recall Nos. GM - 97016/00065 NTSB - 97V058/00V189

i'd be suprised if the daeler will do the recall since its been more then 10 years. ask gp1138 about it he got turned down for the recall.

They already said they were going to do it. I called Oldsmobile about it and they talked to the dealer and said they had to do it. It's just a question of what they're going to do to it.

They already said they were going to do it. I called Oldsmobile about it and they talked to the dealer and said they had to do it. It's just a question of what they're going to do to it.

Well that's wonderful. I called Pontiac and they basically told me to go fuck myself. Did the dealer say there were no open issues on your car when they took your VIN, too?

What's that number? Maybe I'll call them and tell them I need it done, and say it was unlisted or something. How did you manage to get the rep on the phone to call the dealer?

Pontiac's number is: 800-762-2737. Tell them it's a safety recall and that they need to talk to your dealer. They authorize it in their system (so the dealer gets paid) and then he called the dealer and told him to go ahead. They can't pull cars older than 10 years, so they couldn't pull my VIN but they did say they found the "campaign numbers" for the recall I was talking about.

http://www.autosafety.org I belive is where I got it. Or http://www.recalldata.org

Pontiac's number is: 800-762-2737. Tell them it's a safety recall and that they need to talk to your dealer. They authorize it in their system (so the dealer gets paid) and then he called the dealer and told him to go ahead. They can't pull cars older than 10 years, so they couldn't pull my VIN but they did say they found the "campaign numbers" for the recall I was talking about.

http://www.autosafety.org I belive is where I got it. Or http://www.recalldata.org

Do you think they'd still do the recall if one of my cradle bolts has actually broken? Because my front driver's bolt has now broken.

I don't know if I would tell them that before it was approved. But my rear passanger pulled out of the plate that it threads into. What do you mean by "broken"?

I don't know if I would tell them that before it was approved. But my rear passanger pulled out of the plate that it threads into. What do you mean by "broken"?

I mean the tip of the bolt is still in the retainer, and FUCK is that a son of a bitch to drill out. I made two big holes in the fucker and I can't get any further. I've replaced the other three bolts with GM OEM parts, and the car doesn't go CLUNK anymore, but the steering looseness scares me, and I really just want GM to fix their mistake that I'm stuck with.

I suppose if you can pawn it off on road salt / sand causing the break you should be able to get them to fix it. Again, I wouldn't tell them that at Pontiac, but tell them you want the recall done. Once they approve it then take it in and let them know one has broke already and you want them all replaced. Really I don't think the dealer gives a sh*t once GM says they'll pay for it. However the guy at the dealer did tell me they had a Lumina they had to replace the whole cradle and GM ended up buying the car from the guy b/c they didn't wanna fix it. So they cut him a check.

Tom

Just got off the phone with Pontiac. I hate to be rude to Customer Service reps, but I'm sorry, this is bullshit. She basically told me that just because the recall I have says that my state is involved, and that it's the same model, model year, and that just because I have the exact symptom described in said recall, and am driving a hazardous vehicle, doesn't mean that GM is going to recall my vehicle.

I thought that if the NHTSA put out a recall, that the recall was mandatory. My vehicle is a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix just as the recall states, that was sold in Pennsylvania, just as the recall states. It was manufactured in Fairfax, KS, which I believe the recall also states. Most importantly, the cradle bolt, which is exactly what the recall states as defective, is BROKEN!

I don't get it!

I talked to a guy named Kirk (Oldsmobile Division) 866-xxx-xxxx x. xxxxx. EDITED I hate to give out info like that but you may want to try calling him and seeing if he can help you. I'm not sure if the Olds and Pontiac people are the same, but you can give it a try -- it's the same recall. Why did they say they wouldn't fix it?

I talked to a guy named Kirk (Oldsmobile Division) EDIT. I hate to give out info like that but you may want to try calling him and seeing if he can help you. I'm not sure if the Olds and Pontiac people are the same, but you can give it a try -- it's the same recall. Why did they say they wouldn't fix it?

The woman said that just because there is a recall on mine, it doesn't apply to 2000, 1999, for example, Grand Prix models, like I was trying to apply the recall to a newer vehicle.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably give him a call, and I'll apologize for bothering him. I won't give your name out or anything, unless you think it'll help me.

No probably won't help you. :) Just let him know what's going on. Or try calling Pontiac and talking to someone else. Do you have his ## written down? If you do I'm gonna edit it out. What year is your car? Can't tell what your sig says.

-T

No probably won't help you. :) Just let him know what's going on. Or try calling Pontiac and talking to someone else. Do you have his ## written down? If you do I'm gonna edit it out. What year is your car? Can't tell what your sig says.

-T

It's an '89. I've got the number and info written down, and I'll definitely give him a ring. Thanks a lot for it, and I'll let you know what happens.

WTF does the year have to do with it? 89 falls within the recall years. That's pretty fuc*ed up. I'd be calling back and talking to someone else. That's not a good enough excuse.

WTF does the year have to do with it? 89 falls within the recall years. That's pretty fuc*ed up. I'd be calling back and talking to someone else. That's not a good enough excuse.

That's about the fourth time I've inquired about it, and I'm getting Goddamn sick of reading my VIN off and hearing how I've got no open campaigns. The fucking bolt is broken, I can't get it out, and it shouldn't be my problem, especially since the NHTSA says it's GM's responsibility to fix it.

Give them those campaign numbers and see what they say. It lists 1988-1991 Grand Prix right there, Ohio included -- I have it right in front of me bro.

97016 / 00061 / 00065 Make them look all those up.

Give them those campaign numbers and see what they say. It lists 1988-1991 Grand Prix right there, Ohio included -- I have it right in front of me bro.

97016 / 00061 / 00065 Make them look all those up.

I read off those numbers and read the actual state list to her. She didn't care, and told me that just because it says that, doesn't mean I'm part of the recall.

No bro, that's bullsh*t. The damn thing spells it out right there. They never gave me this kind of trouble. The dealer said they couldn't fix it b/c it's too old. I called Oldsmobile, they found it by the year make model (couldn't look up the vin b/c of it's age) and said that the dealer will fix it. I told the dealer, he said he needed to talk to the guy at Oldsmobile. I gave them each others numbers -- they hooked up and bam.. appointment in a week in a half (today). I just hope they fix it right or I'll be pissed off a lot like you are. :)

T

Maybe you could even contact the NTSB about not getting your recalls fixed. Just a thought.

I've been thinking about that, but wasn't really sure how to go about it. I'll look up some phone numbers.

I called the number you gave, but got no answer. I'll call again tomorrow morning, I'm assuming he's out of the office.

He takes inbound calls through a call center, so I doubt he will answer, he never did for me (except the first time I called). However I did leave a message and he called me back every time. Just tell him you got his number from a friend who needed the same thing fixed. I'm not sure about the NTSB either, I'm sure there's some kind of form on their site to fill out so they will investigate. I'm not sure -- maybe there is a "statute of limitations" on what they are required by ntsb to fix and I just got lucky. I don't know.

-T