I need suggestions on cleaning engine bay....

jeremy

high pressure car wash, spray on some simple green or purple power or something like that all over everything, let it sit a minute, blow it off. i use the hot wax under the hood as well and it seems to keep dirt and dust from sticking. just don't shoot it directly into the alternator or at the coils and you should be fine.

Jeremy,

you might try hand washing the painted sections under your hood. I did that and then I used a scratch/discoloration removal product to clean it up (had to get rid of 10 years of old grime basically. Then I put a coat of wax on that when I waxed the rest of my car. As for the top of the engine, if anyone has any suggestion on that I'd be happy to know. The top of my engine has recently started discoloring. I don't know why??? :shrug:

wash everywhere you can fit a sponge with soapy water, just like the rest of the car. under the hood and on the frame, just keep scrubbing until the grime comes off. Most (if not all) of it will come. Then get some degreaser or purple power and spray it anywhere on the engine that's still nasty looking. Stay away from wiring/alt/coils/plugs/batt etc. might even want to throw some plastic over them. let the stuff sit for at least a minute or two and just take a hose and lightly spray it off. don't squeeze the handle all the way for a jet spray. I'd suggest spraying from one side too, not straight down. That should get most of it off. If you want to extra clean looking, break out the sand paper.

here was my engine before I got it:

489673_72_full.jpg

489673_73_full.jpg

here it is now:

489673_74_full.jpg

489673_75_full.jpg

go here for an easier comparison so you can see all four pics at once..

If you don't want to spray water on your engine you can still make that engine bay look considerably better with a little bit of work. Your engine really doesn't look THAT bad, but most of the painted parts and reserviors could use some work. Try getting some Simple Green or other degreaser and spraying it on the areas that look bad. Wipe with a wet rag after.

I'd wash:

-Dog bones, front of the car where the dogbones attach

-Rad hoses, intake hose and airbox

-sides of the engine bay

-strut tower covers (yuck)

-coolant/wiper reservior

That alone would make it look much better. Maybe not "show car" clean but still much better... Your engine isn't really that bad, maybe clean around the plenum a bit..

Also new plastic wrap for the wires would be an improvement.. those old ones look like they've seen better days..

B** something chemical engine cleaner with a hard bristle brush on the easy to get places and let it soak in on the rest. Rinse with high pressure washer and wah lah... 8)

i've used a product called "gunk" in the past, its nasty shit, spray it on wait 10 min spray it off / scrub greese, works wonders do it in a area that you don't mind the cement getting ruined.

If your car is anything like mine, be prepared to see your voltage soar to 18+ upon starting it after any water has touched the engine bay. First time I cleaned it I used a pressure washer, then I tried the garden hose with low pressure, but it still happened. And I was careful to stay away from the alt. and critical electrical. From now on it will only be seeing damp/wet cloths and no rinsing.

I have used Gunk Engine Brite in the past with good results and more recently I have used Castrol Super Clean. The super clean is really strong stuff and if you use it, dilute it with water first.

Try using armour all as your final cleaning after you wipe away the dirt. Especially on anything black like your strut covers, hoses, fuse box, air box, etc. It made my engine bay look new again.

use plastic grocery bags to cover your coil packs and alternator then go to town with your hose and some diluted purple power. Spary an area down with the diluted solution then let it sit for about 45sec to a min (not much longer youll strip the paint) scrub with a brush and rinse.

Purple power will pull the grime and gunk off of anything. Its great stuff.

At work we use engine degreaser and a hose. Spray on, hose off. Do that again, and then just hit it with the airhose and your done! They always look good when I do 'em that way. Have yet to have trouble with anything.

use that aerosol tire wet stuff on anything black...it'll make your hoses and most the engine bay shine like a mofo

of course do this after you use a real engine cleaner...that's how i got the engine in my LE so clean

thanks for the tips....I am nervous about spraying water into the engine bay...I will be sure do take pics of the finished product if I grow the stones to attempt this :wink:

thanks for the tips....I am nervous about spraying water into the engine bay...I will be sure do take pics of the finished product if I grow the stones to attempt this :wink:

Its no sweat man really, just cover the coil packs and alternator with some plastic shopping bags and your set.

Im normally too lazy to even cover stuff and just do it when I know theres plenty of time for alll the wiring to dry.

just to add my 2 cents although there are many opinions already, the best degreaser ive used is greased lightning, not the diluted kind in the yellow and black bottle, but the full strength stuff in the black and purple bottle. i used it on my moms old 2.8 and it got years of grease and grime off with just a garden hose. dont know if this has been said yet or if u know already, but you can use non-foaming tire shine on the metal and hoses and all that an it looks pretty good (if you like that look)

You need a miracle Jeremy! LOL. :lol:

First I'd try some good old water/rag combo then some multipurpose cleaner. Those took care of the majority of my dirty engines. Also, GooGone works wonders. :wink: