Alternator questions ... need some advice

Stevo

Well. This weekend has to go on record as the worst weekend ever for me.

It's a 3 Day long weekend so that should ROCK right? no.

First. I have some kind of pinched nerve in my neck for the last week that wont go away and sleeping is a luxury with it. Kinda like a migraine headache 24/7. So thats a start.

Second. I come home from work (I take the bus, parking is a bitch) and since it's a sunny day I walk over to my 93' to open up the sun roof to 'air-her-out' only to get no response from anything in my car. It's dead.

Third. I just forked out way too much cash to replace a pressure line on my powersteering since it decided to spring the most wonderful leak =\.

Ps. this happened about 3 weeks ago and I waited 2 f***ing weeks to get the damn car back.

When I did get my car back. I noticed a whining sound coming from under the hood. The sound ramps up and down with acceleration and deceleration. I returned the car asking WTF? and was told it was the PS box (see below).

Getting back to my dead car bit.

Turns out my alternator is toast. The shop that put my line on says the whine noise is the alternator. Funny. The shop originally said the power steering pump is making the noise because it may have air in it. =\

Its very interesting how something works one day and when you get it back it doesnt. Hmmmmm

Now here's where the fun begins.

It's Saturday. Almost everything is closed when I take it back to the shop and the guy tells me the whine noise is the alternator and the test rig shows the alternator is not charging.

I ask them about their warranty on alternators and I decide I can get one elsewhere for cheaper and with a better warranty. (note: My car has the 3.4l engine so people may understand why I am taking the car to a shop over an alternator :( ).

Ninety minutes of seaching city wide results in my finding absolutely nowhere in the province of Nova Scotia does there exist a appropriately priced alternator for this ****ing engine except 1 shop in the buisness park with 1 alternator left. The thing not a brand name I recognise and turns out to be a 'series 2' alternator. So I am not even sure the damn thing is going to fit. When trying to buy it I am told my BastardCardâ„¢ has been declined. I call to find out I didnt make a $38 payment 2 weeks ago (funny since I just dropped some gas in my car with it the day before last) I tell her my situation and she says no and my only response is "shove your ****ing card up your minimum wage ass you ****ing heartless b*tch!!!", then slam the phone down on her. (I think I scared the alternator guys at that point).

So here comes the questions.

1. Is the alternator in a 93' Cutlass International a 105amp unit?

2. What would be a good replacement alternator for the above vehicle since the stock ones are less than capable? (I have heard talk of higher amp Alternators)

3. Does 5 hours labour sound reasonable for changing a 3.4L's alternator?

4. Is there anywhere I can find a good walkthrough for replacing the alternator on the above engine?

5. Whats the chance the morons that replaced my powersteering line sprayed the alternator with PS fluid and killed it?

6. What would be a logical approach for complaint against the above morons?

Any and all answers, pointing and laughing, shoulders to cry on will be appreciated. Answers preferred since I am too drugged yet still in pain to care about the latter.

Thanks

Signed,

Stevo (about to lose my mind)

3. Does 5 hours labour sound reasonable for changing a 3.4L's alternator?

4. Is there anywhere I can find a good walkthrough for replacing the alternator on the above engine?

5. Whats the chance the morons that replaced my powersteering line sprayed the alternator with PS fluid and killed it?

3. 5 hours sounds alright from how hard it looks to replace the bastard, even though I've never done one..

4. Here:

http://60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=4

and

http://60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=8

5. I had my PS pump spray fluid all over my engine, and it did not hurt my alternator. A guy I know who is a mechanic said that if anything, it would lubricate it (I'm not sure on that one..)

lol

I think the engineers at GM should be shot and pissed on now.

Anyone think it a good idea to have a poll? Perhaps a 'petitiion online'

:cry:

Again I lament for RWD Cutlass's of yester year.

Steve: When the alternator on my wife's car croaked a couple years ago (yes it's the LQ-1), because of where it happened we were screwed and had to depend on a garage there to do it. They charged us like 400 bucks to do it. Then it burned out about 2 weeks later. Took the car back, mechanic told my wife that PS fluid got into it and burned it out. Oh, by the way we noticed that your PS line was leaking then, he said. Wife asked why the hell they didn't say anything, she would've had it fixed right then. Mechanic agreed with her and replaced the alternator with a new unit, no charge. Also replaced the PS line at minimal cost. I just replaced that alternator again about a month ago. Somebody got rid of the duct work and it gets too hot and fries.

So in answer to your query, yes it is possible to burn it out with PS fluid. And you can expect to pay up to 400 bucks for replacement. Do it yourself, it's not that bad, really. Just drop the axle shaft and you'll have room.

Roll with the punches my man!

anyone besides powermaster make a higher-output alternator for the x motor? the best price i can get is 350 bucks for a 200 amp cast finish pm alt. (not to mention the only one i could find)

What about Bosch?

I managed to find someone to bring in a recognizable brand name other than Delco.

It seems that the dealer wants $310 for a "new" one and I can get a remanufactured Bosch for $160. Also it seems that 92-93' year models have alternators that were changed in some way afterwards. I found a bunch of ebay listings for alternators for 91's and 94-96' model years.

I was checking out Delco's website. Its horrid, perhaps thew worst maintained site for the company size I have ever witnessed. They must have the exec's 12 year old build/maintain it. Bosch's site lists only remanufactured ones but if I buy it through Canadian Tire it will have a 5 year warranty while the Delco only gets a 12month at best and a 90 day is more like it.

I was on Powermaster's site. There doesnt seem to be a selection to chose from so I can only imagine that it is custom made.

i found it by app on ekeystone.com, but you can only access that if you have a keystone account (dad's garage does). i didnt write the part number down but i can get it by calling them tomorrow and i couldn't find it on powermaster's website either, but i think its one thats designed for something else but will work for the x. it did come in other finishes besides the cast finish, but if its 350 at jobber price for cast, i can only imagine what retail is for polished or powder-coated. i can find out the number if anyone's interested