door hinges

GPdriver1986

A few weeks ago I figured out that the problem why my drivers side door is leaking. It appears like one of the hinges has a faulty bushing. What should I do now? Should I go to the wreckers and just buy a new hinge? or should I take out this one and replace the bushing inside? Does anyone have instructions on how to replace this?

You can't replace the bushing. The hinge is replace as an assembly.

You replace them by removing the front tire on the appropriate side, then removing the splash shielding. That will give you clear access to change the hinges with the door shut. You will then need a friend to help you to align the door, it's a heavy bitch.

I'm not sure how a bad hinge could cause leaking though? :think:

well the door is not aligned properly and its causing the weather stripping not to touch the door. I checked to see if there is any play in the door by grabbing it at the bottom and there was some.

My advice is.

Get a new hinge from the stealership (love that expression).

With the door closed and windows down on both sides. Use cargo straps overtop the roof, threaded through the open windows and tighten them holding the doors in place tight to the body to ensure they do not drop.

Replace the unit the way Gnat go splat mentioned.

Using a friend to help you may result in that friend messing up since based on experience I never ask certain freinds to help.

With the door closed and windows down on both sides. Use cargo straps overtop the roof, threaded through the open windows and tighten them holding the doors in place tight to the body to ensure they do not drop.

Good idea! I wish I had thought of that when I swapped the hinges on the 88.

Using a friend to help you may result in that friend messing up since based on experience I never ask certain freinds to help.

Using a friend to help may also be a good way to kill a friendship. :lol:

Sometimes force shimming the doors slightly higher to account for a slight drop doesnt help. Do this by sticking 1/8" wood under the door before putting the cargo straps on.

This may not be needed though if the hinges havent been bad for a long time.

I understand that the door has to be supported but does this still apply when I'am just changing one of the hinges? I have a 4 dr and there are 2 hinges (top and bottom) and that one thing that holds the door open. I don't see how the door will drop if I just remove one of the hinges.

Yes, it does apply. I didn't think it would hurt to change just 1 hinge at a time if the door stays shut and doesn't move. Turns out I was wrong in a big way, because the hinges are constantly under tension.