The Loomie's Drivers-Side Window Has Jumped Track. Repairs?

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

The drivers window of my Lumina coupe has been trying to get off track for quite awhile, and today it finally accomplishes what it is trying to do. You can move it up and down with your hands, and from time to time it will catch and you can use a little of the power assist, but for the most part all I get when I press the window switch is a hollow popping sort of a sound.(Like two gears trying to mesh, and the teeth are rolling off of each other.)

Has anyone had this problem and repaired it themsleves? What causes it and how do you repair it?

Thanks!

my passenger side window just did this, its rather annoying, i was able to get it on track once with just alot of playing around but in 2 weeks it fell back off the track again... i'd love to know how to perminantly fix this

The motor in my driver's door is weak so I loosened the track a tiny bit and now it works better. Can't you try just adjusting the bolts that hold the track on the door? Getting the door skin off in the only real hard part...