cryptnix

today i was just enjoying my driving ... normal driving habits and all the sudden i smell something hot. like circuits blowing up. i cannot determin where its coming from ... i only smell it on the drivers side and only when i am sitting a few feet from it ... 2 or so *shrugs*

I looked at everything ... undernieth the dash ... everywhere ... the smell was fucking horrible for the first few minutes ... I couldn't determin where it was coming from ...

nothings changed engine wise... no power loss

haven't checked the "water" that keeps the engine alive (oil, coolant, etc. yet ... waiting for her to cool down right now...)

i'll also check 'n see if there are any codes. if there is i'll have to post unless someone can gimme a link of what the codes are for our cars. i'd greatly appreciate it ...

anyway, i'll keep you all posted.

tyia

jeremy ... i sure hope so ... and that its just stuck in my car (the smell) in the vents ...

i'm gonna steal your idea jeremy :lol:

grr :-)

thanks man ...

btw, can you access audiofreeze?

could have been something you were driving by....
Very true. I drive near a large coal-burning power plant every day on my way to work and sometimes the smell wafts over to the freeway. I'll catch myself wondering if my car's burning up from time to time if I'm not paying close attention to my whereabouts...

One time my 89 cutlass's steering column erupted into flames. I have no idea what happened, but it made the passengers laugh, I sure as all holy hell wasn't though. I hated that car.

One time my 89 cutlass's steering column erupted into flames. I have no idea what happened, but it made the passengers laugh, I sure as all holy hell wasn't though. I hated that car.

I believe dubya's are know for the multi function lever wiring burning at least a little on some cars when they get a little age on them, don't they?

I know two of my three W's have had the problem. Each time it smelled, I saw a small amount of smoke wafting from the crease in the steering column's where the tilt steering moves, and also each one had an effect. One was permanent, and one was temporary.

My 1991 Grand Prix once had a small trail of white smoke coming from the steering colum, and I could smell that heavy smell of something electrical burning. It stopped after about 45 seconds.

The effect was that now when you turn right you have to push the lever up to an extreme position and hold it, or the blinkers on the right side will not flash. The left is fine. As soon as I solve the problem of why it will idle, but die when you press the gas pedal, that will be my next repair.

My Lumina did the same thing, but this affected the LEFT side turn signal. That stopped in a few days and went back to the way it was before. Lumina's do some strange things.

It could have been that if it was not something that you were passing through.

I did a sniff test last night ... was up till 3 am ... no signs really of where the smell is coming from but its so visible ... smellable ?? lol ... from a few feet back from the car door with it open of course.

its driving me insane. i may just go and trade this in for a truck ...

my lumina switch didnt erupt into flames, but it smoked to hell, then it would smell whenever i honked the horn, so i didnt honk it to often :P

smells different when it burns

John