Rearview w/integrated map lights question...

DiscoStudd

Okay, before I go tearing my car apart, can somebody answer me this: When removing the inside rearview mirror, where do you disconnect the wiring for the map lights? I was wondering if you can disconnect it right at the headliner (or the mirror itself) or if the wires run all the way down the A-pillar.

Secondly, does anyone know if the mirror can be "cracked open" without breaking the housing? The reason I'm asking is because I want to permanantely mount the "Laser" module for my remote Radar Detector to the back of my mirror. I have it Velcro-ed to the mirror now, but the adhesive on the velcro supplied with the module weakens in the heat and the damn thing keeps dangling down. I wanna drill a hole in the back of the mirror for a mounting screw...

Thanks in advance...

There is a cnnector at the stud on the mirror, The black plug is clipped to thge mirror stud.. you can unplug it there. The Light lens will POP out if you carefully insert a flathead screwdriver into them.. the mirror housing will also come apart.

Older ones had an inline connector close to the mirror. Newer ones (which I think yours would be) has the connector right on the back of the mirror.

No, you can't open the mirror easily. If it's a Donnelly branded mirror, it's glued together.

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen! I was "feeling up" the mirror on my way to work today and noticed the plug right at the mirror. I guess I'll drill a couple of small holes on the back side and use some tiny sheetmetal screws to secure my "Laser" module...

Thanks again!