Couple 1995 GP questions..

THe_DeTAiL3R

Wondering if it is possible (direct bolt on) to swap the shifter from a 88-90whatever Grand Prix onto a 1995 (the round kind). Hopefully I will be getting the 95 (going for inspection at a garage tomorrow), and if I do I would like to put on my old shifter if at all possible, cause I the feel much more.

RossGT I know you have the petty and your 95.. if you could see if they are interchangable I would greatly appreciate it!

Also I was wondering if it is possible to bolt on a newer (late 90s-00+?) steering wheel... the ones that are smaller and don't look like a pillow. Would there be problems with the airbag? Fucking airbags. :roll:

Lastly how the hell do you open a truck that will not open with the key, or the button in the glove box??

maybe the dealer could help you out with the lock

if you don't wanna go that route

you can drill out the lock, or take the back seat out and go in that way

maybe the dealer could help you out with the lock

if you don't wanna go that route

you can drill out the lock, or take the back seat out and go in that way

The car is sold "as is"... so unless I want to pay money..

I don't want to drill if at all possible. I don't know if the rear seats came come out (anyone know??) all I could do was stick my arm through the center armrest hole thing which might be possible if I spent more time.. More details on opening it from the inside would be helpful.

gonna have to ask someone with a 95 gp on the seats.

i know it takes 5 minutes to remove the seats on my car, don't know if 95 gps are set up differently inside or anything

Unless you're 3 years old, you won't be getting thru the rear seat pass-thru. Why won't it open with the key? The doors and trunk are all keyed the same, unless someone has changed it for whatever reason.

As far as shifters, the handles will interchange.. the rest of the unit isn't set up quite the same.

Unless you're 3 years old, you won't be getting thru the rear seat pass-thru. Why won't it open with the key? The doors and trunk are all keyed the same, unless someone has changed it for whatever reason.

As far as shifters, the handles will interchange.. the rest of the unit isn't set up quite the same.

The key goes in and turns, but does not open..

So with the shifter it will fit, but will the button work? More details please...

Guest Anonymous

The steering wheel are EXACTLY the same on newer 97+ GP's... they kept the 94-96 interior when they redid the car in 97. Only the DIC and headlight switches changed.

Im not sure what you mean by the shifter in the petty and the 95... did you want to rpelace your shifter with the cobra head? i dont think it would work because on the cobrahead the button you push in is in the front and not on the side like in older GP's. I think they are too different. You can swap the console but it wont look as good...

CBAD, aim me i am away but im right here if you get this its 1209 EDT

Guest Anonymous

The key that opens the trunk is the same as the one that opens the door... why doesnt the button in the glovebox work? My car has keyless entry and I have NEVER used a key to get in the car... i just push the button and it unlocks or the trunk pops open. A fuse may be bad or something.

The steering wheels ARE different, the interiors are completely different in '97+ and the handles will swap. You can swap pretty much ANY w-body shifter handle and it'll work fine. The consoles themselves won't be a direct swap w/o modifications to the pre94 setup.

You can swap the steeringwheels, but you'll obviously need the airbag with it. As far as wiring and plugs for that airbag, I do not know.

Unbolt the seats completely and crawl through. If the GP is anything like the Regal, then there's a gigantic hole behind the seatback.

To wit:

blockmount.jpg

There's a rubber sheet that you have to remove but it should be easy enough.

The shifter knob will interchange with any FWD GM since the early 80's. If your knob is leather, let me know cause I'd most definitely be interested in buying it off ya if it is a stock 95 GP "cobra-head" knob like this one:

int4.jpg

The steering wheel are EXACTLY the same on newer 97+ GP's... they kept the 94-96 interior when they redid the car in 97. Only the DIC and headlight switches changed.

You're so full of it, and I'm supposed to believe you about space orbs? :smilielol:

Guest Anonymous

Is that your GP in the picture. DAMN that is one unique interior.

My friend has a 97 GT and the steering wheel is the same, so is the interior minus a few little things... unless they changed it in later years, I know at leasta 97 GT is quite similar to mine.

My friend has a 97 GT and the steering wheel is the same, so is the interior minus a few little things... unless they changed it in later years, I know at leasta 97 GT is quite similar to mine.

:lol: Thats a Regal.

Take a closer look at that wheel. They appear to be somewhat similar, but they are not. I don't even know how you see the interiors being the same. The GENERAL shape is the same, but the rest isn't close. Hell... the general shape of MOST interiors are like that.

Guest Anonymous

Well the gauges are the same they just add the PRND123, the steering wheel is, the area where the ac and radio is, the shifter is, the DIC got moved to the right cubby, and the foglight switch is there instead. Its basically the same, like i said some minor changes, at least in the 97 that I know. 00-ish could be different.

No, that's not my GP, it's my Regal. If you look closely, the 94-96 GP, 95-96 Regal, and 95-97 Cutty all have the same dashboard "shell." I think even the Cuttys and Regals dashes are identical except for the dash bezel. All the clusters are the same between the 3 cars, they just have different overlays. I think all the consoles are identical on the bottom half and the upper halfs are interchangable...

BTW, as much as the 94-96 GP dash looks like the 97-03, they are completely different...

Guest Anonymous

It looks quite simliar. ye sthey are different in some ways, but basically they are the same, as is the 97 steering wheel. CBAD showed me a pic of a 01 and the whheel is very different from the 97 and 95

Yes like I said, many dashboards have that similar shape. The instrument clusters are close, but again, no cigar. The gauges themselves are in different locations on the panel, and the shape of the cluster itself is different.

Guest Anonymous

yes thats what CBAD wants. Personally, I wouldn't go toying around the airbag, but if you can do, hell that would look 1000 times better.

Why does he want to switch the shifters? i think the newer ones are more conforatble.

the airbag in 97-00 physically bolts in much differently than 94-96. It is not the same.

The interior is different in every way. For the simple fact that you cannot interchange parts.

GM de-powered the airbags sometime after 99, so I'd imagine the 2001-up 'bags wouldn't be compatible with the 95's module. I personally like the Pontiac wheel and shift knob better than the other division's wheels/knobs. I believe you can swap wheels and airbags with a W of the same year without any consequence, but I wouldn't mess with changing across platforms or years.

Now, anyone have a Medium Red Pontiac steering wheel and airbag with RSWC's (steering wheel controls) from 95? :lol: I know, I know, the Pontiacs only came in "Graphite." Okay then, maybe I could find a Graphite 95 wheel/airbag and have it dyed Medium Red to put on my Regal. That would be sweet!

Hey C-Bad, wanna trade? :lol: Okay, how bout you, Ross? :lol: :joke: Nah, the "Arrowhead" would look funny on a Buick anyways, so I'll just keep the one I have. My Buick wheel kinda reminds me of the wheel that was on my old 87 Grand Am...

Cliff notes:

In 1997, the entire dashboard changed. Enlongated. Console changed to accomodate heated seat controls on higher-end models. Cluster changed; Fuel and Temp gauges swapped locations, Recieved the PRND321 treatment. Seats changed. HUD unit changed. DIC changed to accomodate BOOST gauge on GTP's. Steering wheel changed in 1997 and remained until 2000. Changed again in 2001 and remained until 2003.

Why does he want to switch the shifters? i think the newer ones are more conforatble.

I've been used to the T shaped shifter in my '88 for over 4 years now. It just grips in your hand nicely. I would see if I got used to the new one but right now I just don't like it as much... so if it just takes a couple screws to take it off and swap them around then I'll probably do that.

Disco is right on the money with that 2001 wheel. NOBODY can say that they don't look better than the big pillow-like 1995 wheel.... Is that wheel for sure a no go? Ah well, it would probably be real hard to find one and $$$ for a new one.. :roll:

I'd REALLY like a 04+ one, not sure how well it would match the interior though :?

466554_38_full.jpg