Anyone Ever Replace..........

Brett H

...........just the clutch on the AC compressor? I'm sure there are a large number of you who have had the clutch go out on you were it grinds all the time. I've owned 3 different 3.1L cars and had to swap compressors 4 times and my 94 Cutlass Supreme will make the 4th car and 5th compressor. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this car so I thought I could get away with just swapping the clutch.

It looks like it will be a biatch of a job but I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out. Should I do the clutch replacement or is it a big pita and just change the entire compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brett

I think you can get a whole remanufactured compressor form ebay for around $120.

The clutch went in my 88' as well. No doubt thats the reason why my 93's AC isnt working currently.

a/c ..... why do you need ac????? it robs you of vital horsepower that the w-body has little of to begin with

Do we really need all that 'vital horsepower' on our way to work in 110 degree weather?

If you're doing the work yourself it might be worth it, but check to see how much a clutch vs. a whole reman compressor runs. If you're having a shop do it you'd be better off just running a reman I think, since the added labor for installing a new clutch will kill any money you saved by just getting a reman. They aren't so bad to do, but every compressor is different. I personally haven't done a V5 comp. yet, so I can't really help you out there.

mines making noises...but i can't afford a new one...shucks

It's about to go out. Wait for it to lock up and eat your nice accessory belt.

yay...i can't wait

It's not bad to replace the clutch ass providing you borrow the pullers from AZ or any parts store that loans tool. Complete clutch assy about 100+, front assy about 50, Entire ac unit including clutch about 200 but then you have to charge it and mess with the oil. It could be just the bearing about 15 but you still need the tools. You can do it with regular tools but it's sooo easy with the rite ones. You will still have to unbolt it and pull it up so you can get at it.

Get the whole thing cause next the bearings in the compressor will go out.

Jud

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just returned from a long vacation so I haven't checked the board nor have I fixed the car.

As for losing vital HP, this car is my grocery getter car and the one I use to get to work most of the time so creature comforts such as air are more important than a few ponies. My 410 RWHP f-body which pulls 12.5's is my HP toy and it has functional air. :D