Head bolts recommendation?

R Dubya

What are you guys using for head bolt replacements? I found some Fel-Pro's at Advance today for around $25, should I go ARP or GM or Felpro?

Thanks...

I bought the GM ones, but I haven't gotten them yet so I can't tell you if they are any good or not, but I just bought all factory gaskets/bolts and everything, because I know they will be OEM quality. They were like $60 for all 16 though IIRC.

Shawn

That's what I was thinking about the bolts.. I never had a problem with my head gaskets so.. plus I have a friend at the Pontiac dealer who gives me 25% off.

Guest TurboSedan

i'd stick with GM. that's what i'm going to be doing with my 'V' engine when the time comes. i just replaced the head gasket and head bolts on my 2.2 T2 and i bought Mopar Performance head bolts and head gasket....i like the idea of factory engineered :)

That's what I was thinking about the bolts.. I never had a problem with my head gaskets so.. plus I have a friend at the Pontiac dealer who gives me 25% off.

Well, I have connections through a local shop, so mine were $60 and that was after my 40% off with no taxes, so they would probably be about $100 with no discount.

Shawn

hey Jim

what did the ARP people say to Torque those to?????

I get diffrent stories every time ask someone.......

:x

75 lb ft for iron heads, 65 for aluminum heads, and yes the threads all go into the water jacket, block threads need to be chased, NOT re-tapped, cleaned as well, and clean off the oil on the stud's threads, run them in a few times with thread dope to coat all the block threads well, then one last time when the head is placed and torqued down in sequence of 4 increasing torque values and in the pattern listed in the service manual. Problem is those studs listed on other web sites have a mix of good ones that do bottom out so the studs stays put when torqueing things down, and bad ones that move (lubed pipe dope end in the block) when you are trying to do your final torque settings. Its those damn undercut ones that keep going into the block when you don't want it, fun! FelPro head bolts/stretch-to-yeild (one time use then toss away next time!!!) are as good as GM's, good chance made by the same supplier. ARP studs are better as always, but better always costs more!

No more time to talk :lol:

Jeff M

Well I guess I am a cheapskate. :roll: I have found that I can use head bolts over once although I torque them to 85#, way more than stock torque. No trouble with felpro head gaskets at all. Lots of other troubles though. :cry: 3rd time no. As many times as I have had the heads off I've saved a bundle. :D Got over 40 from the j/y for 5.00.

As far as studs I may go to them the next major build. They definatly are superior. It suprises me that there is no torque on the APR studs. (the stud its self) Most of the military hardware (studs) that we installed the installation required a very minor torque compared to assembled torque and in most cases loctite. :?:

Almost forgot, I wouldn't try the 85# without hardned washers. In fact were much better off with the washers what ever you torque them too.

Jud

Well my connection at the dealer can't do any better than around $60, that seems kinda steep to me, especially given that the Fel-Pro bolts are available for $25 and I don't have to order. I did the heads on my 4Runner last year and we didn't replace the head bolts, worked fine with no problems, but I'm replacing these on the TGP for sure. Thanks all for the input. Now if that machine shop would get to work I could also.. :lol:

I'll be picking them up early next week and hopefully starting the assembly.. block is just about done, just need to do freeze plugs and gallery plugs, and cam bearings.. then the fun begins! :shock:

Guest TurboSedan
block threads need to be chased, NOT re-tapped

Jeff M

what is the difference? i just run a tap down the holes a couple times and spray the gunk off of the tap in between times with Brakleen. then i flip the block upside down and spray out the blind holes with Brakleen.