Dissapointment at the dealership

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well i went to see if I could get the touchup paint for the petty edition at the local elaership parts counter and they said it was discountinued. So I decided to go ask the service guy if they replace head gaskets, and we started talking about my car. He asked what engine I had and I said it was the 3.4. You should have seen the look on his face. he told me that they hate working on 3.4's and *if* I could get the one guy to work on it, it would be top dollar. He said it would be better to do an engine swap but since the car is so old its not worth it, and I said it was a petty edition and he changed his mind.

But i couldnt beleive the dealership wouldnt even work on a 3.4... I guess they are that bad?

no offense ross, but how are you gona twin turbo your 3.4 when you won't take on the task of changeing head gaskets yourself? honestly just pick up a wrench and you'll have a head gasket job done for around $60

no offense ross, but how are you gona twin turbo your 3.4 when you won't take on the task of changeing head gaskets yourself? honestly just pick up a wrench and you'll have a head gasket job done for around $60

icon_nutkick.gif

No offense, but who cares if its a petty edition or not? Its not exactly a "Petty Driving Experience" or anything.. All it is is a Grand Prix SE, with fancy blue paint, some stickers, and a DIC w/ the fancy STE sytems monitor.. I dont know if it's because I really dont like GPs that much or what.. But I mean.. Wow.. A Petty Edition Grand Prix... :willynilly: Thats fantastic.. I'm gonna go eat a jar of mayonaise.. :leaving:

Just me I guess..

No offense, but who cares if its a petty edition or not? Its not exactly a "Petty Driving Experience" or anything.. All it is is a Grand Prix SE, with fancy blue paint, some stickers, and a DIC w/ the fancy STE sytems monitor.. I dont know if it's because I really dont like GPs that much or what.. But I mean.. Wow.. A Petty Edition Grand Prix... :willynilly: Thats fantastic.. I'm gonna go eat a jar of mayonaise.. :leaving:

Just me I guess..

And not all of them got the DIC either. I've seen Petty Editions with practically no options. It's very similar to the 1996 Grand Am Olympic Editions. Pontiac pushed the SHIT out of those things.. but does anyone remember them?

Just me I guess..

bananahump-slvrathlon.gif nope, I said the same thing a few times...

no, the 3.4 is not THAT bad, its just lazy mechanics, sure the jobs a pain and all but nothing you can't do in your own driveway or garage. there are walkthroughs on 60*v6.com with lots of pictures! most people hear all the hype about the 3.4 and that it sucks and watnot, then people who don't know the engine buy it and insist on takeing it to a garage or a dealership to get it serviced and yeah it sure will burn up your wallet, i've said it before and i'll say it again the 3.4 is an enthusist engine!

my advise, read the directions at 60*v6.com, get friendly with mr. craftsmen, go boy a felpro gasket set for around $60 or so and do it yourself.

Chris, you are only a Senior member.. I am an Entusiast.. Hand over the keys.. You are not clear to operate that motor.. LOL.. Seriously.. Hit up 60degree.. They have SO MUCH useful crap for the 3.4, its ridiculous!

i have a 3.4 and since it does cost a butload to work on and since it is hard to work on im just gonna pay it off and go buy a first gen eclipse with the 4g63 for like 1500 or so and drive the hell outa that and baby the 3.4

Guest Anonymous

I dont know why people are so wowed over petty editions. I thik its a nice car, but I couldnt care less who richard petty is and that he has a ggrand prix. I just like the color and how the inside of the rims match. And I like the 91-93 B4U best. Other than that its notthing special. But the car does have a story to it and that why I care so much about it. For those of you who dont give a shit, close the window now.

My friend Liz bought the car when she was like 21-ish. It was her first car and she went in on tthe deal with her brother, he was 18. Their father didnt want them to get it, but they really wanted a Grand prix. So they went to alll the dealers and found the best pprice. They decided to add all the bells and whistles since it was a new car and all. Their father had no idea this was going on and one day they just drove home in this new GP. It was origianlly supposed to be red but they decided on the blue. They divided up the payments and the insuurance, and Liz eventually bought the car out from her brother. They took pictures of the odometer when it hit 100k, all that stuff. For years before I even knew much about GP's I was drooling over it and wanted one but my brother kept telling me it was some sort of limited edition and I wouldnt find one *exactly* like it. I was always offering to buy it from her. Then one day she calls up and says ross if you want the "Blue Bomber" its yours. Of course engine damage had since occured.

And thats it in a nutshell, why I care so much about this 12 year old POS GP with richard petty decals and fancy paint :?

i have a 3.4 and since it does cost a butload to work on and since it is hard to work on im just gonna pay it off and go buy a first gen eclipse with the 4g63 for like 1500 or so and drive the hell outa that and baby the 3.4

:lol2:

Sorry, but you must not know much about the 4G63! They aren't nearly as reliable as the 3.4, and that says a LOT! The 4G63 is a TRUE enthusiast engine, and NOT cheap to work on AT ALL!. No offense, but if the attitude is to grab a daily driver and baby the 3.4, get a Honda or a W-body with the 3.1/3100.

<-- Speaks from years of Mitsu tuning experience.

Guest Anonymous

Its the Richard Petty fans that make the cars so expensive. Ive seen them go for over 10 grand. To me its NOT worth that kind of money, but you know how crazy some fans can be. (not you, but some ppl are insane)

You should look into getting one. hell, that car is 12 years old and it still turns heads (well it did until it got parked and covered next to a rotting limo)

Just me I guess..

And not all of them got the DIC either. I've seen Petty Editions with practically no options. It's very similar to the 1996 Grand Am Olympic Editions. Pontiac pushed the SHIT out of those things.. but does anyone remember them?

a what?

Just me I guess..

a what?

:lol: There are a few of them in town here. Along with the Regal Olympic Ed.

Its the Richard Petty fans that make the cars so expensive. Ive seen them go for over 10 grand.

I have seen them listed for that much, but I have NEVER seen one sell for anywhere close to that price....anyway, I hope that you get your problem fixed soon and as cheap as possible....you should organize a "repair meet" at your house so you can have some help from the local people who might have more knowledge then you....you supply the food/drink/tools/parts/helping hand and they supply the knowledge....

Guest Anonymous

I agree I think a repair meet would be great, but there is nothing but ricers around me. Do we have anyone from the board in SE NY/ NY metro area?