Last weeks project

slick

I had bought a cone filter and tube about 2 weeks ago, used of course. I wasn't to happy with it, because 1) It was a flimsy design, 2)It was bright freaking red, and 3) It was just sucking up warm air. So, with my dads help, we worked after hours at work everday and made a nice, professional looking intake for my car.

So anyways, what all we did. First off, we bent a 3" tube on the mandrel tube bender. We measured it out before hand, and decided that a 55* bend would work about perfect for us. Then we cut the tube to length. Once this was all set, we then built the heat shield. This took a few days because there was a lot of bending, cutting, and remaking a side because it got screwed up or we had a better idea. Once this was done, we made the holes for the sensor and the vent hose. I then took it all apart, and painted it up nicely. It put it back together, and wa la. This is what i have. The whole assembly is a very very snug fit. There is nothing crappy about the design, meaning it is very structurally sound, and when we grab it and try to move it around, it won't budge. Anyways, onto the pics.

373899_64_full.jpg

373899_65_full.jpg

373899_66_full.jpg

373899_67_full.jpg

wanna make one for me?

i'll hook you up with some skanky local blonde ass for the night...

hahaha i don't think that's a very fair exchange :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys. I was going for that right out of K & N look.

As for making them, I really can't. I want to, because I know I could make a killing off of this, but when Friday is your last day, and im moving monday, it would be pretty darn hard. But, atleast you know to get a 55* bend, 3" mandrel bent tubing, and have an idea on what to make.

i see the car still needs the throttle cables. i bought them from the dealer back in december and i still have them pm me if u want them they will go cheap

Given the lack complete lack of space to get out of the underhood area on the LQ1 (without relocating the battery), what you have is a pretty damn nice setup.

Except for one thing........ :wink:

Those cheapo APC/Autozone filters don't flow as well as a true cotton-gauze reuseable filter such as a K&N. You could maybe pickup an extra hp or two by switching to one, AND be able to wash the filter (which you can NOT do with that one).

Those cheapo APC/Autozone filters don't flow as well as a true cotton-gauze reuseable filter such as a K&N. You could maybe pickup an extra hp or two by switching to one, AND be able to wash the filter (which you can NOT do with that one).

I'm gonna keep that in mind...I have a cheapo one on my GP

Given the lack complete lack of space to get out of the underhood area on the LQ1 (without relocating the battery), what you have is a pretty damn nice setup.

Except for one thing........ :wink:

I know, I know.... :lol: I plan on picking one up sometime. I figured you would be the one to notice that.

Also, probably next week while im just sitting up in Toledo with nothing to do, im gonna measure each side of the heat shield, and post it up on here, just in cause someone else wants to make one.