j/y trip

stockgp

went to the j/y yesterday and scored some rare stuff (rare around here at least). i didn't get what i needed, but i came away with: tan hud, dashpad, mounting bracket, and hud control switch; radio/climate comtrol/navi thing out of a toronado trofeo (you know, looks like a tv?); and an auto-dimming mirror from a regency.

no idea if any of the stuff works, but if anyonw knows how i can test it, let me know. if the stuff works, i'll sell anything but the mirror. i'd like to keep it for myself

What year Trofeo did you grab that CRT out of? Those things usually go for around $300 if they are in working order. If you give me a day or so I can tell you how to check it for functionality, I've just got to dig up my service manual. It is extremely rare to find a Trofeo in a j/y in any sort of shape that hasn't been molested for everything removable part you can imagine. That especially holds true for the 90-92 cars. If the one in the j/y has anything left on it you may want to buy as many parts as you can and sell them on E-Bay to make a quick buck.

there are a few trofeos in the yard, actually. but this was the only one with anything i could see might have value. not sure on the year either. any info you have would be great

It does not suck!!! Its esentially a scan tool when running in diagnostic mode. It will tell you real time stats on your car and I mean everything, right up to fuel tables, cross counts, spark retard, fan voltages, climate relays, etc...plus you can manually enter values into the system and control aspects of engine managment. Plus it gives you all the OBD I codes that your car is setting BCM, ECM, SIR, and CRT self diagnostics. Pretty sweet if you ask me, and extremly useful. It only has a four color display though (orange, blue, green and white). But it is set up as a touch screen and it controls climate, radio, and quite a few other vehicle functions. Its not the best system, but considering it was available back in 88' its pretty damn impressive, way more so than a DIC or VIC available in any W-Body.

Oh, and I forgot that I lent out my service manual to a friend, so I'll have to get back to you about a way to test the CRT.

Guest Anonymous

I wonder if this thing would fit where the radio is on the petty edition. It is pretty sick, i'll admit, but kinda bulky. I found a pic online of one lit up, it is impressive.

Im sure it would be a whore and a half to wire all that jizz in though... and we thought a vfd dic w/ icons was bad...

*If* i could get that thing to properly work, Id install it in the petty edition withjout a doubt.

Guest Anonymous

I would imagine it would be extremely difficult! You would have to find all the sensors out of a trofeo, wire everything, mount verything.... Quite a bit of work. But now that I have seen it in action (its nice) it may be something worth looking into doing.

Guest Anonymous

If it could be wired to do what its supposed to, it would be sick. but if you cant, well than its kind of a dash ornament...

this thing is obd I right...? just like the 92 w/ 3.4?

Correct sir it is indeed OBD I. And I can't even begin to fathom wiring one of those up in a W-Body. Its plug and play in any Toronado, since it used the standard harnesses for climate control and radio control. All though, in those cars the extra data bus for the ECM and SIR systems are already present from the factory. The VIC (vehicle information center) basically has a direct link to all the computer modules in the car. I never had any problems with mine so I never had to worry about how it works or what exactly is involved with its wiring, but I did have the dash apart to install a CD player and the swarm of wires was belittling to say the least. I still have a service manual from when I owned my 92' and if anyone is seriously interested I can scan the pertinent wiring diagrams and send them off. PM me if interested.

Oh, and its roughly 13wx6.5hx10d. Quite the chore to work into a w-body dash.