HUGE Power Steering Leak

digitaloutsider

Well guys, the GP is finally running again, save for the nice little power steering problem that's sprung up. The fucking thing leaks PS fluid from somewhere on the rack and I can't tell where. I put in one bottle of Lucas Tranny Stop-Leak which offered up no help at all. Anyone else have any other ideas or fixes?

Stupid car..

None other than there a PIA to work on. I had to drop the subframe to change the pressure hose. I thought the car caught fire. The fluid hit the exhaust every time it squirted. Drove it 180 miles with a hole in the hose. Lucky 90% was freeway. As long as i didnt turn quick it didn't leak.

If it squirts could be the pressure hose. If it just leaks it's most likley the return. Look under the alternator thats where the rubber parts of the hoses are.

If its the pressure hose just don't go anywhere where you have to turn. :lol: Or don't turn if you go anywhere. :lol:

If its neither, :?: Could be anything. Good luck.

Jud

None other than there a PIA to work on. I had to drop the subframe to change the pressure hose. I thought the car caught fire. The fluid hit the exhaust every time it squirted. Drove it 180 miles with a hole in the hose. Lucky 90% was freeway. As long as i didnt turn quick it didn't leak.

If it squirts could be the pressure hose. If it just leaks it's most likley the return. Look under the alternator thats where the rubber parts of the hoses are.

If its the pressure hose just don't go anywhere where you have to turn. :lol: Or don't turn if you go anywhere. :lol:

Jud

Jesus fuck.. here goes dropping the subframe again.

Jud

As soon as I get a chance, I have to change my hi-pres one. I sure hope it doesn't involve dropping the subframe! It looks like it can be done from the top on my car at least ('96 Lumina). Mine's not squirting, just leaking. Have you checked the dealer prices? the local dealer wanted $75 for mine. I got it from GMPartsDirect for $43. I went with the factory one because years ago, I put an aftermarket one in my Celebrity and it didn't fit very well.

I got a 93 olds cutlass 3.1 mpfi, i recently changed the high pressure hose due to the fact when the steering wheel was cut all the way i pissed it out all over my drive axle ruber inclosure.

I was able to remove the sob w/o any probs, except the stupid heat sheild and the plastic clip to keep everything in place. So i removed the heat sheild, the plastic retainer clip holding down the pipes, also removed my coolant tank and took my belt off for more work space.

After it was off, i screwed the new line in to the actuall power steering unit. then tried to screw it into the pump it self. It took me about 4 hrs to bend the hose so it would clear the belt and also screw into the pump itself. It was a pain, i also unbolted the pump itself so i can have a little more slack.

After it finally went in, it was 3 am and i couldent figure how to get the plastic clip back on so i used a hose clamp insted, screwed my heatsheild back on, put the belt on and the coolant tank.

started the project at 4PM finished at 4:30 AM, actually got everything cleaned up and put away at 6 am (wired so i changed the oil sence the car was jacked up allready.

Works wonderfull now, saved my self about 200 bucks in labor for someone else to do it, but costed me 15 bucks for cigs, 10 bucks for coffee and about 10 for energy drinks.

The next day i fixed my radiator fan over where brianP works. It sucked, he saw me brake the dipstick handle off when i removed a dogmount bolt.

Anyway. its 4 AM now so im just talking on and on. Ill stop now

I dont know the layout of your car, but if its like mine, its a snap to do it, just think befor you do anything, and also keep a good track of how things get re assembled. Also make shure the new line is almost exactly the same to the old one in bends. also you will go through one hell of a time getting that sucker to thread in.

Those are my thoughts and opinions.

Good Luck

Shuan,

You do not have to drop the entire subframe..

Try this to gain more access to the PS Rack:

Remove the Steering pinch bolt at the steering colunm.

Lossen the front subframe bolts 4 turns ONLY!

Support the tranny with a jack.

Lossen the rear subframe bolts all the way.

This will allow only the rear of the subframe to drop down with control of the jack. Allowing you more access to work on the PS rack.

When done, all you need to do it jack the subframe back up into position, install and tighten the rear bolts, re-attach the pinch bolt, and tighten up the front bolts.

It is alot less work than trying to drop the entire subframe again.

You sure its not the PS pump? Mine went without making any noise or anything. It leaked onto the serpentine belt and on the ground and it took me a long time to actually figure out what the problem was.