Has Anyone heard of putting a Turbo on a 2003 grand prix 3.1

Pattyo02

Hey guys I am new to the site and i am wanting to mod my 2003 G/P SE (3.1 liter engine) and everyone tells me to swap engines and add a superchager, but I want something different. I am not sure what kind of turbo I would need so I am asking around. If you kjnow anything please let me know!

sorry patti but im not sure a turbo would work on your stock 3.1 l. ours on the mclarens are quite a special breed with steel cranks forged rods dished pistons and the like plus the puter that runs it. but if it cand be done jeff m. would know

sorry patti but im not sure a turbo would work on your stock 3.1 l. ours on the mclarens are quite a special breed with steel cranks forged rods dished pistons and the like plus the puter that runs it. but if it cand be done jeff m. would know

Let's forget the internals (as there is debate on how much difference there truly is in the n/a version vs. the turbos). Patty stated the car is a 2003 GP, making it a 3100, not the same as our 3.1s. Our crossover pipes wouldn't bolt on to it, and neither would our exhaust manifolds. You'd have to custom fab everything, and if you're going to go through the trouble of all that, you might as well just make something from scratch and put a better turbo on there then the one we're cursed with. :lol:

Let's forget the internals (as there is debate on how much difference there truly is in the n/a version vs. the turbos). Patty stated the car is a 2003 GP, making it a 3100, not the same as our 3.1s. Our crossover pipes wouldn't bolt on to it, and neither would our exhaust manifolds. You'd have to custom fab everything, and if you're going to go through the trouble of all that, you might as well just make something from scratch and put a better turbo on there then the one we're cursed with. :lol:

First fact 3100 would not be done just by cloning the TGP setup, lots to change, better to just drop the compression with forged pistons, add oil cooling, tranny cooling, some performance rebuild kit from(?), oil feed/return and cooling feed/return lines for turbo, intercooler somewhere, better fuel pump, larger injectors but then who is going to tell the computer you did this?? :? the computer takes all the fun out of doing this unless you can copy someone who has taken the custom chip plunge, and added electronic tranny control (or manual control I guess) or aftermarket but tuning is still going to cost you if done proper/professional so you don't risk blowing parts. Second, as for any debate on the differences with the TGP engine and others, no debate anymore (actually since 2/7/2004)!: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12387&sid=98bcb41e3ae853bb1b9aedc5d89135c6 :roll:

So, best answer is, easy no, doable yes, get enough help from any message board, no, get help from someone else, yes if they already did it, but since its a lot of work, not many people are going to just jump up and commit a ton of time less they got nothing else to do in life :lol:

Jeff M

Well Shit, looks like I screwed around too long. I knew it was only a matter of time before people starting making turbo kits for the L36. I was hoping to be one of the first to do it. Looks like anyone w/ a big pocketbook can do it now. Damn, looks like I'll have to go TT, just to be different. :lol:

Hyeboy Wrote

Patty stated the car is a 2003 GP, making it a 3100, not the same as our 3.1s. Our crossover pipes wouldn't bolt on to it, and neither would our exhaust manifolds. You'd have to custom fab.

I just completed just such a swap. :) 2001 3400 top end with cam and lifters with the TGP turbo setup, I obviously hand all the parts. The TGP turbo exhaust is a direct bolt on to a 3100 or 3400 motor. The only fab that I know of that you would have to do is grind the TGP ex manifolds to match the D part of the heads, depending on egr configuration you might have to move the inlet nipple, a bracket to hold the xover and where the turbo down pipe connects to the exhaust pipe down pipe which could be as little as a pipe size change. There also may be some clearence issues. If you get all the little goodies including pan and turbo oil return tube it wouldn’t be to bad. If you don’t it’s a bit of work. If you want an intercooler than more fab. And then you have to feed it. The fab is the easy part.

Jud

I have been searching for awhile and all i am finding is turbo's and supercharger for the grand am 3100 does anyone know if that one would work?

Did you LOOK at the link I posted? If you didn't, take a look...that is in a newer Impala(W-body) and has the same amount of room underhood you have on your GP(although it has a 3400, not much of a difference in the 3100 you have save for displacement..look at the top of the engine, look familiar? :wink: ), so you COULD copy that particular setup or wait for a "kit" to spring forth from the r&d on that setup.

thanks mfewtrail i am going to register at that forum and talk to that guy I have been asking around to see how different the 3400 was from mine but i had no answer i know i seen that a 3400 grand am was supercharged or turbo i don't remember from the factory.

sorry they might not have been factory but i have a website that does make them. I have been looking and ready so much today my mind is just going in circles lol !!!!

Here are the websites if you wanna see.

http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=591&fcmd=item&inmake=all

http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/99_03grandamsuperchargers.html

What do they want for the kit? 4k

Noticed they don't have provisions for water cooling. Can't see turbo so it may not require it, although I would rather have it. You get an oil return hose but they don't get the oil back to the engine, so you would have major work to get a hole and pipe in the pan. Major work just to pull the pan. :cry:

I believe the wastegate is ss not alum. You have to change springs to change boost. Don't know how hard that would be on a hot bov. :roll:

What do they want for the kit? 4k

Noticed they don't have provisions for water cooling. Can't see turbo so it may not require it, although I would rather have it. You get an oil return hose but they don't get the oil back to the engine, so you would have major work to get a hole and pipe in the pan. Major work just to pull the pan. :cry:

I believe the wastegate is ss not alum. You have to change springs to change boost. Don't know how hard that would be on a hot bov. :roll:

Jud, I've seen upscale "tuners" just drill/tap a hole through the oil pan and then drain the oil out before(seen this on two or three different tv shows when they were installing oil return lines along w/ turbo kits). :shock:

• 4 weeks later...

you dont have to change springs to change boost...its called a boost controller...it doesnt let the wastegate see boost until the boost controller sees enough to open itself and then the wastegate sees boost and its open