TGP Turbo and ECM on 3x00?

BigRed95

Could I swap a TGP turbo and ECM onto a 3100 or 3400 using a 5 spd stick? I won't be using the a/c either... and I'm willing to do some mechanical fabrication if needed. I found a 89 parts car that has a bad body and bad transmission for $300... is this possible?

Thanks, Scott

Hell anythings possible Red. :D You've got the right idea of sticking w/ the electronics of the TGP. The manifolds will have to be fabbed up though, the exhaust ports are different. IOW different manifolds. Stock 3.1 ECM and a copy of my MEMCAL and you'd be set on the electronics of it. 3100 SFI, 3.1 MPFI, there is a TON of info about the swap from SFI to MPFI all over the net. Start looking around. You didn't tell us what kind of car the V will be going into, so I can't really help you much more until we know the platform. Let us know, there's help to be had. :wink:

Well Jay you got more out of that than I did. :roll:

And yea what's the TGP going into. I don't know that I would replace a 3100 or 3400 with a TGP if that 's what he meant. Only issue I would consider is the higher compression ratio and that can be tamed. Better flow, better valve train.

By the way the 3.1 TGP exhaust manifolds will bolt right up to any year up to 01 for sure and I believe to 04 heads. Just need some grinding on the 3.1's at the bottom of the d shape of the port. Then you can use the TGP xover.

Keep your old bolts cause the studs are to short on the newer heads.

Now I am really curious to see what he wants to do.:confused:

Jud

Well the motor would be either a 95 or a 98 3100. Or possibly a 3400... whatever I could get ahold of. And I want to find a manual tranny, and put it in a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL. Unfortunately.. I called on the car when I got home from work today.. and it was already sold. Oh well maybe another opportunity will come along. Or I can find just a TGP ECM and source a different turbo and fab up manifolds... If only the pipe bender I just bought was a mandrel bender :shock:

Well thanks anyways for the help.. I'm definately still gonna look for other sources.

Scott

Any 7730 ECM will do it for you, since you are changing the code, (there are some debates as to whether the MEMCAL for the V is different) I won't say one way or another because I don't know. :D And as far as fabbing the rest up, that gets my vote. There's not a whole lot I would want to use if going all custom anyhow. Do a search for "converting n/a to turbo" or something of the like, and there are TONS of threads about it. It will give you an idea of what all is needed to make the change. Then you will have an idea of what will have to be changed. :wink:

Any 7730 ECM will do it for you, since you are changing the code, (there are some debates as to whether the MEMCAL for the V is different) I won't say one way or another because I don't know. :D And as far as fabbing the rest up, that gets my vote. There's not a whole lot I would want to use if going all custom anyhow. Do a search for "converting n/a to turbo" or something of the like, and there are TONS of threads about it. It will give you an idea of what all is needed to make the change. Then you will have an idea of what will have to be changed. :wink:

Ok so I can get a N/A 7730 ECM, get a 2 bar map sensor, and buy a turbo... and fab the rest.. hmm I saw a T25 Turbo with low miles for sale for $225 just last week locally.. hmmm :lol:

Scott

Ok so I can get a N/A 7730 ECM, get a 2 bar map sensor, and buy a turbo... and fab the rest.. hmm I saw a T25 Turbo with low miles for sale for $225 just last week locally.. hmmm :lol:

Scott

Ok getting deep in quotes here.. but I just found out some things... I think.

According to car-part.com, I have many sources of 7727 ECMS

1988 Engine Computer Buick Regal 2.8,AT,ID. 1227727

I read somewhere that 7730 ECMs can only use a 1 bar MAP sensor and 7727 ECMs can take 2 and 3 bar MAP sensors. Autozone also lists the 7727 as the stock ECM for a 89 TGP. I know you guys probably already know this :lol: But I'm learning as I go along here. Hard to do things the easy way when your on a budget. Anyway, I'm down to this list of parts I'd need:

1) 7727 ECM used approx $50-75 New $170

2) Wiring Harness

http://www.streetandperformanceelectronics.com/pc.htm has harnesses for the 7727 ECM but they are made to fit 86-92 5.0/5.7 TPI cars. I wonder if that would fit. Probably more expensive than a junkyard harness. But it would be clean and labeled.

3) 2 Bar MAP sensor. OEM TGP unit

4) Custom parts: manifolds, intake, etc...

5) Have the MEMCAL programmed?

Would you be able to copy the .bin file to my MEMCAL Jay? If I choose to do this project, I'll reimburse you for your time and effort.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Scott

Just make sure and watch out what T-25 you walk into. The TGP specific one's are alot different than most. IIRC, it has a bigger A/R than most T-25 (although still small) FWIW, I made a chip for someone w/ (IIRC) a TD04 (might have been a T04B) everything works fine because he's not making any more boost, it's just alot more efficient, he loves it.

Oh by the way we drove it tonight and we got 2nd gear rubber with out even giving it much throttle!!!! Got 2 nice black marks in front of the house now....lol

Ok getting deep in quotes here.. but I just found out some things... I think.

According to car-part.com, I have many sources of 7727 ECMS

1988 Engine Computer Buick Regal 2.8,AT,ID. 1227727

I read somewhere that 7730 ECMs can only use a 1 bar MAP sensor and 7727 ECMs can take 2 and 3 bar MAP sensors. Autozone also lists the 7727 as the stock ECM for a 89 TGP. I know you guys probably already know this :lol: But I'm learning as I go along here. Hard to do things the easy way when your on a budget. Anyway, I'm down to this list of parts I'd need:

1) 7727 ECM used approx $50-75 New $170

2) Wiring Harness

http://www.streetandperformanceelectronics.com/pc.htm has harnesses for the 7727 ECM but they are made to fit 86-92 5.0/5.7 TPI cars. I wonder if that would fit. Probably more expensive than a junkyard harness. But it would be clean and labeled.

3) 2 Bar MAP sensor. OEM TGP unit

4) Custom parts: manifolds, intake, etc...

5) Have the MEMCAL programmed?

Would you be able to copy the .bin file to my MEMCAL Jay? If I choose to do this project, I'll reimburse you for your time and effort.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Okay, here we go. The 7730 ECM is the non-weatherproof version of the 727, I didn't know the platform we were talking about, so yes, the 7727 is what you want. I would just goto the j/y and pick out a 3.1 car, grab the harness and computer, and be on my way. Also, you will need to modify the harness for the 2 bar map. I believe it was Jud that found (Or Josh, Malibuolds) you can just hog out the connector to plug into the 2 bar. :wink: I'd stick w/ the stock TGP manifolds, and a custom x-over. And I would be more than happy to make up a MEMCAL for you. Hit me up w/ a PM when you get closer and we can talk about some of the settings for your personal code. Lemme know.

Okay, here we go. The 7730 ECM is the non-weatherproof version of the 727, I didn't know the platform we were talking about, so yes, the 7727 is what you want. I would just goto the j/y and pick out a 3.1 car, grab the harness and computer, and be on my way. Also, you will need to modify the harness for the 2 bar map. I believe it was Jud that found (Or Josh, Malibuolds) you can just hog out the connector to plug into the 2 bar. :wink: I'd stick w/ the stock TGP manifolds, and a custom x-over. And I would be more than happy to make up a MEMCAL for you. Hit me up w/ a PM when you get closer and we can talk about some of the settings for your personal code. Lemme know.

Man, You and the other people have been a huge amount of help. Your help is very much appreciative.

Thanks,

Scott

its a to4e 46 trim jay!! :wink: the tgp t25 is kinda small for a 3.1 let alone a 3x00 that flows better. I wouldn't even go with a t3 at all. either go with a new gt series turbo or go with a t04e 46 trim or 57 trim

Guest TurboSedan
I believe it was Jud that found (Or Josh, Malibuolds) you can just hog out the connector to plug into the 2 bar.

i haven't actually done it yet but from what i've heard you can modify the stock 1-bar MAP sensor connector so it will plug into a GM 2-bar MAP sensor. i am going to be using a complete engine wiring harness from a NA 3.1/5-speed '90 Grand Prix in my '91 Cutlass Turbo project, along with a grainger valve for boost control (i also have a TGP wiring harness if that doesn't work). i'm going to be using a custom memcal from Jay in my ECM since i'll be using a 5-speed. my engine is from a '90 Turbo STE and the transmission is a Getrag 282 5-speed from an '89 Grand Prix SE. good luck :)

haven't actually done it yet but from what i've heard you can modify the stock 1-bar MAP sensor connector so it will plug into a GM 2-bar MAP sensor

Yes you can do that. thats what i did. the difference between plug in on the cavy and the plug in on the 1 bar is the orange plastic piece. You either have to grind off a outward slot type piece on it or you have to add a slot i can't remember. either way it was farely easy to do!

its a to4e 46 trim jay!! :wink: the tgp t25 is kinda small for a 3.1 let alone a 3x00 that flows better. I wouldn't even go with a t3 at all. either go with a new gt series turbo or go with a t04e 46 trim or 57 trim

Hey, I was close, D, E what the difference :lol: Even thought I might regret it, I think I'm gonna go w/ the GT28RS, I just hope the exhaust side can keep up, and not choke it like is thought possible by JeffM. I guess just about anything will be an upgrade though huh?