Power Trunk Release

NightStalker

I just have two questions about getting my power trunk release working again. First quesion is, what fuse is it running from, maybe I can replace it. And two, are there any common problems with the actual trunk unit that I may need to fix? Sorry if these questions seem odd, but I'm at work and can't exactly check em out right now. Thanks for any help in advance.

I had the tumbler of the lock go on mine, but thats not a common issue, well not common enough to call it an issue. I have zero idea what fuse that runs off of, I'd lay odds its that though. I've never heard of the release solenoid breaking.

Good luck.

The fuse in an 89-93 is underhood in the passenger side electrical center. Not sure about 94+, but I'd check underhood first.

If the fuse is still good, chances are it's the park/neutral switch.

Do you know what fuse it is though? I know where they are, I just don't know which exact fuse powers it. And what exactly do you mean by the park/neutral switch?

Check the fuse first. The solenoid doesn't often go, so the next step would be to check the switch itself. After years of use, the contacts often wear away. It's probably that.

Do you know what fuse it is though? I know where they are, I just don't know which exact fuse powers it. And what exactly do you mean by the park/neutral switch?

It's a blue 15A fuse in mine. If you look on top of the fusebox cover, it's labeled "TRUNK REL". Looking from the front, it would be the blue fuse on the bottom right of the section that has all the little fuses.

This applies to 89-93 only though.

Park/Neutral switch is the switch on top of the tranny that prevents the starter from cranking in anything other than Park and Neutral. It also prevents the trunk release from working in anything other than Park.

I've heard of several W-body owners whose P/N switch went bad causing this problem (mine is one of them).

try a yard or ebay.. any wbody one will bolt right up, I don't know about from other GM cars. All you need is the solenoid that mounts to the trunk latch and the button to put on your dash. I just wire one end of the button to a constant 12v source like the cig lighter and run a wire from the other side out back to the trunk. I got mine out of a Lumina Euro at a yard a few months back..

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/489000-489999/489673_55_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/489000-489999/489673_56_full.jpg

Alrighty, on my 92' Cutty, there is no trunk release fuse. Also, I tried taking the unit off to check it, but none of my torx wrenches seem to get it off. You think it may be a fualty wrench, or do i need another tool?

Hers an idea, use the key....lol

Haha, I would, but its really a pain in the ass to have to turn the car off and get out to unlock it when I gotta put a stroller in the trunk. I located the fuse box you were talking about, extremely obvious, sorry for my thick headedness. Now that I found it though, I can't seem to get the srtut bar off from above the fuse box. I'm using a torque wrench, but the damn thing won't seem to come up. I know it sounds extremely slow of me, but I'm new at this. Thanks for your help.

Hers an idea, use the key....lol

Haha, I would, but its really a pain in the ass to have to turn the car off and get out to unlock it when I gotta put a stroller in the trunk. I located the fuse box you were talking about, extremely obvious, sorry for my thick headedness. Now that I found it though, I can't seem to get the srtut bar off from above the fuse box. I'm using a torque wrench, but the damn thing won't seem to come up. I know it sounds extremely slow of me, but I'm new at this. Thanks for your help.

Loosen the top bolt a little, then remove the two bottom ones. it'll swing out of the way. Do NOT overtighten them when you put 'em back on. They strip easily.

I never have to move the brace to get into that box.. the one on the drive side i do, but not the bigger passenger side one..

just put your thumb where it says "push here" and push down hard and grab the grab piece with the rest of your fingers and just pull. brace should only be like a mm over it.