88-93 Cranking times

GP1138

How long does it take you all to crank your engine over? Between turning the key on mine and the engine actually turning over, it takes me around 2-3 seconds. It makes me wonder. Also lately my starter has been clicking once when I turn the key, but then on the second turn, it'll start normal. Any thoughts?

Clicking once sounds like a weak starter or weak battery. Is it cranking slow, or normal speed and just not starting right away? I'm going to guess yours is cranking slower than normal.

My 89 Cutlass and TGP start very quickly with a flick of the key.

The 94 w/3.4 DOHC usually needs cranked a full 2-seconds because sometimes it won't start with just a quick flick of the key, but I know it's the engine and not the starter because the starter cranks at normal speed. I think it's due to leaky injectors on mine, but not leaky enough to make a difference in normal driving.

It might be because I had to tap the rear center spark plug hole.. and it's not as tight as it should be. I can tell because you can hear it when the car runs, phht phht phht, like that. It's stayed in for months now, so I don't think it's going anywhere, and the engine runs fine, idles a little rough, but it's got 189k+ miles on it, so go figure. It still has plenty of power.

The starter cranks pretty normally, the battery hasn't had a problem. I'd know if it was a weak battery, though it's an Autozone cheapo-depot battery. It still charges fine, and when the starter doesn't click, it starts up after the requisite 2+ seconds.

Are you saying that between turning the key and something actually happening there is a 2 second delay?

If so it may be the solenoid.

No, turning the key, and the engine actually starting so I can release the key. The click thing only happens once in awhile.