Trunk leak

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well somethings up with the trunk on the 92. It doesnt close right. The passenger side is always up about 1/4 inch compared to the drivers side when closed... so its not making a good seal. After it rains the passenger taillight gets condenstaion in it. From what i understand it may have come from the factory and the owner had not really noticed it as a problem until after the warranty was over. I wouldn't say its a major problem "yet", but is there anyway to solve this? It doesnt look like anything is keeping it from closing right.

I finally figured out where the leaks come from on most Lumina's.

The rear panel that the taillights mount to has two seams on either side where it attaches to the side pieces of the car. Those seams have a really crappy sealant and the bond to the metal lets go, so it appears to be sealing but it's not.

How to FIX:

1. Pull the carpet out of your trunk and remove your tails, plate holder etc.

2. Look at those seams and there's probably a small bit of rust all along it, it there's rust thats your leak.

3. With a putty knife or screwdriver scrape the original putty away making sure to remove all of it and clean the surface good so you can get a good bond.

4. I used a multi-purpose silicone that bonds to anything, and ran a good heavy bead all along the seam, BOTH SIDES, especially at the top horizontal part. Using your wet finger work the silicone to ensure it is making good contact over enough surface that it won't let go!

5. Leave your trunk open and your tails out to allow it to properly dry and re-install everything and you should have a dry trunk from now on.

This may be the case for other w-bodys so check it out cause it's nice not having a stinking interior after/during a rain.

Enjoy everyone,