lets discuss brakes

zachz34

The Z34 was not driven for about a year or so.

The brakes were shot when I parked it the last time. My shop put on all new pads, and turned all 4 rotors.

There is still a squeek. Front drivers side brake makes no noise until I get on the brakes a little bit. Then it squeels. If I push the brakes hard, the squeel goes away.

My brother and i went on a 'spirited' ride out in the country south of town where there are a ton of curves and all that stuff, so naturally I was on the brakes quite a bit too. After about 3 slow downs from 60 50 and then 30, I could smell burned brake pads. The brakes faded so bad I was aftraid to follow my brother so I wouldnt hit him. If I slam on the brakes right now, there is NO WAY IN HELL that I could ever leave skid marks; even going from 60-0, FULLY on the brakes as hard as I can.

Its piss poor and i dont know what the fuck to do about it

The brakes seem somewhat 'mushy' or soft - they ARE bled correctly, with all new brake fluid in the lines.

I'm sure that my mechanic used the cheaper pads, as he knows I'm short on money. But would cheaper pads exhibit this kind of brake reaction? I'm scared to drive the car. :(

I've heard about an RSM kit, but havent been able to find a website or anything with prices or anything. All I've heard is 'expensive.' I'm almost to the point of not caring how much it would cost. These brakes fucking suck, and I'm scared to drive the car. I will NOT let my girlfriend drive it anymore. Not because I dont trust her... but because I dont trust the car.

What do you suggest? If I went out and bought BruteStop pads... you think they would make THAT big of a difference?

PS..

Scratch the RSM idea. If they think that they are getting $3000 for front and rear brakes, they are f-ing nuts. I paid less than that for the ENTIRE CAR. I dont care if the brakes are off of a god damned Viper. Thier pricing on EVERYTHING is rediculous from what I can see.

:(

Semi-metallic pads can feel like you have no power assist. It feels like if you were to slam on the brakes at an intersection, you'd slide right into it.

For that reason, I switched to Carbon-metallic pads. They kick out horrible amounts of thick black brake dust, but they're a night and day improvement in braking. I would definitely recommend switch to carbon metallics, although I've heard good things about EBC GreenStuff too.

Also, make sure your rear brakes work. They do 20% of the braking. If the front brakes do all the work, you'll have reduced braking performance and eventually front rotors will warp. The sliders on Lumina Z34 rear calipers are quite famous for seizing.

Lastly, if yours is a Lumina Z34, you might look into a 94-up W-body vacuum booster. GM had determined that 88-93 didn't have sufficient power assist and they used a much larger vacuum booster 94-on. This will allow you to run semi-metallic pads without feeling like you're going to slide into everything.

Lastly, if yours is a Lumina Z34, you might look into a 94-up W-body vacuum booster. GM had determined that 88-93 didn't have sufficient power assist and they used a much larger vacuum booster 94-on. This will allow you to run semi-metallic pads without feeling like you're going to slide into everything.

That it is.

Any other information on the vacuum booster swap? Where is the booster located? What cars can I pull one off of?

Think I'd get a large improvement in going to Raybestos Brute Stop pads? I've been reading stuff about them for the past 20 minutes, and everything i've read has been good.

:?

better off going to Bass Pro Shop and getting a big anchor and some rope, tied to your car somehow, and just throw it out the window when you want to stop

you're going to spend a assload to get a w to stop

if you do get a nice setup that actually works, let us know though. i'd like to have a car that stops too :wink:

just a question. have you driven the car after the brakes got hot? On my brother's old grand am i was racing throw town on the side streets stopping all the time and then taking off fast to get home and get my fire gear for a call and i smoked the shit out of the brakes and after that they worked a lot better and they were almost new when i did that. I'm not good with brakes so idk what might be the problem.

i myself would just go to advanced auto parts and get the bendix bonded brake pads i have had no problems whatsoever with them and they are 2 years old

My lumia had a spongy stop to it. I replaced both back calipers, put new pads on all four wheels and bleed the entire system with a bleeder, yet it still did it. Then I noticed it, the front brake lines were sweeling under preasure. I replced the and it solved the problem.

As for the squealing, he might not have turned your rotors. they might have been smooth enough to not have worried about it, but still could have been glazzed over or had rust on them causing the squeal.

am i one of the only people here who does not have a problem stoping?

no, I can lock up my breaks if i hit them hard. I like 4 wheel disk brakes with no ABS :)

My car stop good all the time.

just a question. have you driven the car after the brakes got hot? On my brother's old grand am i was racing throw town on the side streets stopping all the time and then taking off fast to get home and get my fire gear for a call and i smoked the shit out of the brakes and after that they worked a lot better and they were almost new when i did that. I'm not good with brakes so idk what might be the problem.

i'm surprised you didn't warp the shit out of your rotors

IMO I wouldn't buy brakes from the junkyard. It's just a bad idea, no idea why that car is in there, and brakes are important enough that I'd just go new. When it comes down to a core, most places wouldn't be able to tell the difference (or don't give a shit, it's not their money right?) I know my 3100 starter was given a 3.1 core. :D

am i one of the only people here who does not have a problem stoping?

no, I can lock up my breaks if i hit them hard. I like 4 wheel disk brakes with no ABS :)

My car stop good all the time.

that's because you don't have shitty 88-93 brakes

i'm surprised you didn't warp the shit out of your rotors

I was too for as bad as they were smoking

My lumia had a spongy stop to it. I replaced both back calipers, put new pads on all four wheels and bleed the entire system with a bleeder, yet it still did it. Then I noticed it, the front brake lines were sweeling under preasure. I replced the and it solved the problem.

As for the squealing, he might not have turned your rotors. they might have been smooth enough to not have worried about it, but still could have been glazzed over or had rust on them causing the squeal.

Interesting. I've heard of 'SS' lines. Is that what you used? Any other information that you could give me? Link to a website that offers them?

It seems that even if this doesnt completely fix the problem, its definately a little bit of preventive maitenance.

SS are stainless steel, and nobody offers a kit that'll directly go in our cars, you'd need to get a universal kit and make it fit.

I'd like more info on the booster swap also...

You can get the bigger booster from any 94-96 W-body and 95-99 Monte and all 95+ Luminas.

If you use CARBON metallic pads though, you probably won't need the booster. I'd try carbon metallic pads first, they're a night and day difference compared to semi-metallics. The carbon metallics make my 89 Cutlass stop great.

I also put Wagner Severe Duty carbon metallics on the 88 and 89 Cutlass and they seem to be pretty good too. Before, I was using BrakeBest Copper (carbon) Metallics but they changed the formulation and after that they never lasted as long although they still stop the car wonderfully.

your front do i thought 75% and the back did 25%...i know that's different from what shawn said. Either way, regardless of the percentage if you don't have rear brakes, there will be a significant difference in your braking! :shock:

Interesting. I've heard of 'SS' lines. Is that what you used? Any other information that you could give me? Link to a website that offers them?

It seems that even if this doesnt completely fix the problem, its definately a little bit of preventive maitenance.

I replaced them with new stock pieces. I noticed they had sort of a swollen look to them when we were bleeding the brakes.

do the back brakes really make that much of a difference?

Yes. Without properly functioning back brakes, your car have a more pronounced nosedive feeling during braking and your front rotors will warp pretty quickly.