humming/vibration..

GutlessSupreme

It's got to have something to do with my alignment or something. At very low speeds (sub idle) I can hear a *waaamp* noise like something's rubbing, and only when I'm turning left. Since I changed my strut assemblies, I can now also feel it at highway speeds. But again, only when turning left slightly. I can hear it slightly and feel it in the floorboards. As I said it's got to be something with my alignment, I drift to the left and my steering wheel isn't lined up straight. I just want to know what exactly it could be.

Also odd because it's not like my tires are showing abnormal wearing.. but I dunnoooo...

i've had my car aligned 3 TIMES, and my steering wheel STILL isn't centered

my car will climb up toward the center of a crowned road with the steering wheel straight

my car will climb up toward the center of a crowned road with the steering wheel straight

Does your car drive straight with your hands off the wheel? IF the steering wheel is crooked, take it off and put it on straight.. the whole steering assembly/column might be off from wear over the years.

Does your car drive straight with your hands off the wheel? IF the steering wheel is crooked, take it off and put it on straight.. the whole steering assembly/column might be off from wear over the years.

yes, it goes straight with my hands off the wheel. it doesn't pull to the side or anything. one of my coworkers suggested that. i wonder how hard it is. anyone know? i've never done it before

When I had my steering column apart to change the signal switch I forgot to mark down the position of the wheel.. so I slowly drove down the street with the wheel not bolted down, stop, position it again, then put the bolt back on.. :lol: fun stuff

you said it drifts to the left, get it aligned and see what happens.

alignments are cheap, so even if that doesn't fix it it's not like you blew a ton of money

Humming noises when you turn the wheel can be wheel bearings on their way out.

I should know. Both of my FWD cutlasses have had wheel bearings replaced. Last year I replaced the right one on my 88' unfortunately after replacing in the left front one. Last month I replaced the right one on my 93' ... my ABS sensor in the right rear is not working so now I have to replace THAT bearing as well ... =\.

heh, maybe loos wheel well plastic cover thingy? (whats it called?)

Mine does that when i'm a certain amount turned right. I just keep forgetting to re attach it :D

are the wheel bearings in the hubs?

I should know. Both of my FWD cutlasses have had wheel bearings replaced. Last year I replaced the right one on my 88' unfortunately after replacing in the left front one. Last month I replaced the right one on my 93' ... my ABS sensor in the right rear is not working so now I have to replace THAT bearing as well ... =\.

Approx. how much do new wheel bearings cost? I can do the work myself, but I need to replace at least the left front...gonna do both fronts while I've got the car on the lift though.

- Justin

Well. It cost me $100 for a UAP Napa bearing. It was about 50-75 bucks more for a 'premium' bearing.

I went and bought some 'dealer' wheel studs because my 88' had short wheel studs and I wanted to do a change over. The wheel studs on the bearing I bought were the same length as the stock ones but didnt have thread on the last 6-8mm of the bolt. The dealer ones were around 10mm longer than stock.

Double the price if your car has ABS since the wheel sensor is located in the bearing as a complete unit. I called the dealer and got a price on one for my 93' ... $527, lol. UAP was the first place I went anyway.

The way I see it. Your chances of needing a bearing replaced are doubled with ABS. Even if theres nothing wrong with the bearing but the sensor is bad. The whole thing has to be replaced. Which in my opinion is stupid.

But at least it beats reconditioning and repacking bearings.

All prices are in Canadian.