air conditioning

sniperi311

ive got a 93 olds cuttlass supreme with a 3.1, im wanting to release the r-12 so my friend can fill it back up at his work, in know your not supposed to release it yourself but his boss said he cant evac my system with stuff in it, he woud rather it be as little of the r-12 as possible, so which valve is it that i need to release the crap out of exactly? is it the one by my air box or a different one, pics would help if you got em, if not its cool thanx for the help

Don't do it bare handed unless you like frost bight and emergency room visits. Why not just get some freeze 12 and recharge it yourself. Napa auto parts should carry it. If you don't have a napa, check your local parts store.

checked advanced, auto crook, and oreilys, all the had was r-134 stuff, ill look around the that freeze 12 stuff, whats it look like, and i knew about not doing it barehanded, thanx for the warning anyways though

I just looked at a glance on Google, looks like $680 for a 30# cylinder of R-12, $175 for a 30# cylinder of 134. Or you can buy 40 30# cylinders of 134 for $3200, that's only $80 per cyl. :shock: :lol:

yeah, but to convert to r-134 is expensive...although one of my friends said just put r-134 in it, it just wont be as cold as it should be, buy darn close, anyone ever heard that?

yeah, but to convert to r-134 is expensive...although one of my friends said just put r-134 in it, it just wont be as cold as it should be, buy darn close, anyone ever heard that?

i've heard that, but i've never noticed a temp difference in a converted car.

if you just release the r-12 into the air, converting is cheap. a r134a convert kit is cheap as hell, and they include the freon and oil.

if you just release the r-12 into the air, converting is cheap. a r134a convert kit is cheap as hell, and they include the freon and oil.

How exactly do you release it without killing yourself?

How exactly do you release it without killing yourself?

\

easy. open the valve, and watch the white cloud.

i'll ask my pop's how he would go about doing it. he's universally certified. says reclamining is a pain in the ass

its possable i did it once by accident :oops: was changeing the rad on a lebaron, going about my business, start turning this bolt on a fitting not really thinking about it, started to hear a hisss thought wtf? then turned the bolt some more then fwoosh and then i was like :shock: and ran like hell, came back 5 min later and the whole engine bay was more or less covered in ice

easy. open the valve, and watch the white cloud.

i'll ask my pop's how he would go about doing it. he's universally certified. says reclamining is a pain in the ass

Isn't that DANGEROUS though?! I don't wanna inhale it and die or something.

its possable i did it once by accident :oops: was changeing the rad on a lebaron, going about my business, start turning this bolt on a fitting not really thinking about it, started to hear a hisss thought wtf? then turned the bolt some more then fwoosh and then i was like :shock: and ran like hell, came back 5 min later and the whole engine bay was more or less covered in ice

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: that is what i would have been doing if i had been there to see that happen

R12 itself is not dangerous. It's a Class A1 refrigerant.

Class A = rating indicates no evidence of toxicity below 400 ppm.

Class 1 = Refrigerant which will not propagate a flame under normal conditions in open air.

http://members.cox.net/jamesmcalm/Calm-Toxicity_of_Refrigerants-Purdue-1996.pdf

R-134a in my 89 Cutlass used to cool very well. Lately, it hasn't seemed that great, it only seems as good as the 94 Cutlass (natively R-134a) which is not particularly good.

R12 itself is not dangerous. It's a Class A1 refrigerant.

Class A = rating indicates no evidence of toxicity below 400 ppm.

Class 1 = Refrigerant which will not propagate a flame under normal conditions in open air.

http://members.cox.net/jamesmcalm/Calm-Toxicity_of_Refrigerants-Purdue-1996.pdf

R-134a in my 89 Cutlass used to cool very well. Lately, it hasn't seemed that great, it only seems as good as the 94 Cutlass (natively R-134a) which is not particularly good.

Ever since I bought my retrofit kit at Autoshit, I've not had a problem. A/C isn't near as cold as I like it, but it cools pretty damn well, I don't have a real problem with it.

i can look it up for you if no one else knows. all my service manuals are in the garage and i don't feel like getting up

be aware, releasing any sort of freon into the air is illegal. don't' go around telling people you're going to do it.

so can i just spray that freeze 12 crap right into my r12 system or do i need to evac it or anything, its sort of cold but not all the way cold

so can i just spray that freeze 12 crap right into my r12 system or do i need to evac it or anything, its sort of cold but not all the way cold

If your system still works, just not as well as it used to, then you are most likely undercharged. A good set of gauges and pressure readings would be most helpful in determining that. Instead of trying to reclaim it, buy a can of R-12 off ebay. I've seen them go as low as $20 for a can. If you would rather use Freeze-12 then it needs to be charged into a vacuum and additional oil needs to be added. Do not add it to what you already have as Freeze-12 is 80% R134 and 20% R146. It won't mix to well with the R-12 already in there. Also note, if you have a developed a leak, you can't just "top off" Freeze-12, you'll need to reclaim and recharge to get the charge levels back to normal.