Rebuilding the LG5

R Dubya

Ok so I will be pulling the block on Wednesday hopefully, heads are going to the shop before so I can have them ready to install when the block is cleaned and ready to go. I have some questions on what I should be doing here as far as replacement goes..

The guy at the machine shop told me ~$300 to disassemble, clean and glaze, then reassemble the block with new cam, lifters, main and rod bearings, etc.

I want to do this myself though. I have the service manual so torque specs are taken care of, but I've never done this so I'm a newbie and need advice on what else I should replace. The machinist told me to remove the freeze plugs and something else, and says he wouldn't install the old oil pump because of the metal from the cam lobe. Also cam tensioner and chain. Anything else that should be done? I'm fairly sure I will be doing this all myself so I can save the cash for parts. Thanks.

Guest TurboSedan

cam bearings and piston rings (you probably already know that). i'm getting a quote on rebuilding my LG5 in the near future, except i'll be disassembling it myself. i'll let you know what they tell me. are you going with oversized pistons? i definately would get a new oil pump!

are you getting the heads resurfaced or just a valve job & seals? new valve springs? just curious....i'm a newbie at this too :oops: i'm going to be getting Mahle .020 pistons, stock GM cam/lifters/timing chain, new valve springs, new Melling oil pump, GM head gaskets and head bolts etc. i'm not going to do anything too far out like o-ring the block or head studs...yet...

let us know how it turns out and good luck!

btw..."clean and glaze"....does that mean hot tank & magnaflux?

According to him it was clean and glaze, but yes, I assume hot tank and magnaflux, basically cleaning all of the oil passages. I will not be replacing the pistons or rods, however I will be doing the wrist pins purely as precaution, I do not want to cheap myself here and create another 3000lb headache. Yes I knew cam bearings and rings, I've found decent prices on these parts from Summit Racing. Altogether rings, cam, cam bearings, main and rod bearings was around $200, so I assume another $100 on top of that should get me damn close to a complete motor.

I went and got the engine crane today, so I will be supporting the tranny and pulling the block separate. I can't wait to get started, it just gets me that much closer to running this beast for a month or two before it goes away for the winter. I said the "w" word. Dammit.

Oh yeah, I will have him test all of the springs, but I don't think I will replace them unless I need too.. I'm sure that lifter was the problem, or a valve out of the guide. Strange because they look closed, but who knows, I'll find out more when he gets them apart. Seals and resurfacing btw.

Guest TurboSedan

cool. my LG5 is already disassembled down to the shortblock and sitting on the engine stand in my garage. i WISH i could start on it, but i have my hands full resealing my 2.2 Turbo engine right now - hopefully it will be fully assembled by the end of the week and then i can focus on my LG5. unfortunately for me, it won't be finished until winter :(

I'm doing the motor for the Red '89... Going all the way... Over 2500 in the motor and that is NOT including all the head work that was done!!! I'll list the mods later, I need some sleep working 66 hours a week and starting next week doing 84 hour weeks, and trying to put the Beast back together!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :boring: :boring: :boring:

I'm doing the motor for the Red '89... Going all the way... Over 2500 in the motor and that is NOT including all the head work that was done!!! I'll list the mods later, I need some sleep working 66 hours a week and starting next week doing 84 hour weeks, and trying to put the Beast back together!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :boring: :boring: :boring:

Weak.... :P

http://home.earthlink.net/~z284pwr/beretta/engine.jpg

I like cringe every time I look at that list...then think how killer of a motor it is...and damn did I feel weird carrying around so much cash when I was paying for it...luckily we are really good friends with the guy that built it, so it was all good

• 2 weeks later...

So the block is almost done.. as well as the heads. I took everything down on Tuesday, stopped back with valve seals and I just ordered my parts. Moly rings, standard bearings all around, new oil pump and my new camshaft. Should be here Tuesday.. I can't wait to get this thing back together and running again, only this time running right. Woo hoo!! :lol:

I like cringe every time I look at that list...then think how killer of a motor it is...and damn did I feel weird carrying around so much cash when I was paying for it...luckily we are really good friends with the guy that built it, so it was all good

Forgive me for being so open, but I believe you to be retarted for spending $1000 for pistons and rods for a 3.1 :willynilly: :lol: I don't give a shit how much power you're gonna put down that just rediculous. Hell, my 4.340 KB pistons were only $475, and I can get a set of 4.4" forged pistons custom made to my specs from Ross for $600. Maybe it's just me, but you also spent WAY to much for the machine work. If this guy was my friend, I'd kick his ass. :bonk: Don't take this personally, just my opinion. (Which usually isn't worth that much to begin w/)

Forgive me for being so open, but I believe you to be retarted for spending $1000 for pistons and rods for a 3.1 :willynilly: :lol: I don't give a shit how much power you're gonna put down that just rediculous. Hell, my 4.340 KB pistons were only $475, and I can get a set of 4.4" forged pistons custom made to my specs from Ross for $600. Maybe it's just me, but you also spent WAY to much for the machine work. If this guy was my friend, I'd kick his ass. :bonk: Don't take this personally, just my opinion. (Which usually isn't worth that much to begin w/)

Oh speak freely its okay, I won't like hate you or anything because of it, that what message boards are all about right? Giving your opinion and information on a topic....

Ya it was a little much, but its okay, no we are not out to put down all the power in the world, that isn't the main goal, we wanted a motor that would be able to handle boost, put down a pretty decent amount of power and last for a long time, which this motor will if taken care of correct?

We told the guy to find good stuff which he did, yes at a price, but its all good, and no I wouldn't kick this guys ass, this guy is a genious with engines, he is a walking dictionary of so many kinds of engines you would be amazed, so no I wasn't going to say anything to him, he knows what to get and price wasn't a major concern basically.

And here is another example from not so much the HP/TQ angle but another, I see it as, I can spend $5,000 and a very good engine, buy a $3,200 TGP that is pretty good condition, and have a car that is going to look *in my opinion* very nice, be very reliable as long as its taken care of, have plenty of power for a FWD car that could be driven basically every day, last forever, and still have the flexibility to pull the engine out and put it in a WIDE variety of GM vehicles that will last a long time, all for $8,500 OR spend $25,000 and a brand new car, that will probably be missing atleast one of these thing.....see, that $16,500 can be spent elsewhere....

Of course this is my opinion, not that it will be worth much either in the long run....