turn signal replacemnt

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I think i need to replace the entire stalk for the turn signal in the 92;

its been hard to use, ie you have to really mess with it for the blinker to go on, i cant get the left one to go on at all... i noticed a little smoke coming out a few days ago, in other words its screwed how do I fix it?

It's not difficult at all. Take the steering wheel off, and that's the end of it. All you have then are a few Torx bolts and of course the connector under the dash. It's really incredibly easy.. Just give it a shot.

Most of the time you dont even have to replace it, just refurbish it. Sand the copper tips smooth so there isnt a flat spot on them, then bend them down more so they make contact, clean everything with rubbing alcohol including the grooves on teh cancel cam, then re-grease it all with di-electric grease and put it back together. Ive done that a couple of times instead of buying a new one, usually lasts a couple more years

I'll need a tutorial from someone tho :!:

ive got my work cut out for me on this one.

Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I cant write up a paragraph

Guest Anonymous

thanks.

when some of my parts come im opening up the dash tthis week to poke around and see what the hhell is wrong under there (new cluster, hud switches, etc)

1. Take off steering wheel. You'll need a puller. Remember to pull the horn wire out. If you have SWRC you'll need to unplug it 1st before the wheel comes off

2. Once the wheel is off, just pull the cancel cam off, its round and grey with a foam piece on the side you'll see, on the other side will be the metal grooves.

3. There are 3, I think, torx bits that hold the switch one. Take these out. One should be a different color. Remember to put that one back in the hole it came from b/c the threads on it are different.

4. Now you'll need to pull the switch part out of the piece that is still on the column. Move the thing that holds the check ball in around until its positioned so it will come out. Then the check ball and spring will come out

5 With that off, clean the copper off with rubbing alcohol, bend the copper lines down on the top piece of the switch that already came off and clean teh cancel cam grooves. You can skip this if you just want to replace teh whole thing. I, however, would try to clean it up first and try it.

6. Then put it all back together remembering to use lots of di-electric grease and remember to clean teh cancel cam grooves thoroughly

7. If you dont want to refurbish it, then once you get the cancel cam off, take teh scews out of the switch and just pull it loose from teh column in one piece. Then take the trim off the lower column under the dash.

8. Follow the wiring from teh switch way back to the huge connector way under the dash almost behind the HVAC controls.

9. Take the harness off, the signal switch harness is only part of the big harness, so take them apart. Pull the harness out through the column.

10. Now installation of the new one is the reverse of above. If you have any more questions hit me up on AIM

It's not difficult at all. Take the steering wheel off, and that's the end of it. All you have then are a few Torx bolts and of course the connector under the dash. It's really incredibly easy.. Just give it a shot.

Instead of replacing it, very carfully bend the contacts so that they touch again. I had to do this on a few of them on the car lot. Its cheaper to fix them than to replace them.

Do just like robby says, if you deside to replace the whole thing just remember when you pull the turn signal conector out of the big one uder the dash you will also see two green wires in the old one that are not in the new one, the wires run sperate from the other connector wires. They are for the key in ignition buzzer, you have to carefuly remove these form the old connector and place them in the same holes on the new one to keep the buzzer working. Good luck and remember to snug the bolt holding the large connector together.

do not consult a haynes manual, half of the shit they tell you is wrong or just in general, trust me i know :lol: :lol:

Actually my haynes manual doesnt do a bad job for the turn signal replacement