did my annual detail today....many pics!

godofthunder

Hey yall!

Since today was one of the nicest all summer (upper 80s, and no rain for once), and I had the day off, this meant I would do my second annual detail! This is where I spend the day working the paint! last year was about 8 hours, this year, only 4 since I worked on my technique some.

The products I used...

Generic Bug and Tar remover

Meguiars profesional #7 (polish 2.0)

Megs pro #9 (show car glaze)

Megs pro #26, high tech yellow wax.

Eagle 1 A2Z for wheels

All but the wax was machine applied, i did the wax by hand. This is because the previous step, the glaze, it quite oily. You actually let it haze twice, and then maintain some of the oil like substances on the surface, and lock them in with the wax.

I plan on putting on another coat of wax tommorw (you can only layer certain wax's with NO CLEANERS, and #26 and their CHEMICAL SEALANTS ARE THE ONLY ONES LIKE THIS, even Gold Class has cleaners). You have to let it set for a day usually too. I also plan to clean up the interior right quick, as welll as polish the wheels with some old polish.

here are some pics...

This is what I starterd with

start.jpg

This is after the polish and glaze, before waxing..

wbodydotcom.jpg

Check out the trees! #9 and #7 only

trees.jpg

beauty shot, before wax

9+7.jpg

Your host, godofthunder!

self.jpg

The girlfriends 2003 Durango

rango.jpg

Lets have some brats and beers...

thegrill.jpg

Ive got higher Res pictures here..

http://www.crazy-train.net/hostedIMGs/7-17%20Detail/

Hey jon have you ever used meguires scratch-x stuff? I bought some and have yet to try it. My car has some bad swirl marks. Also I plan on using gold class wax. Should I polish it also? I really want to get rid of the swirl marks!

actually, forgot to add, i used some ScratchX on the trunk and a few other small scrathes...but all of those were too deep to be removed. Using a light polish, and a glaze, should help swirls.

You should see my closet...ive got more of my detailing stuff than clothes in there! But then again, i do this stuff a lot on the side.

jon

So I should just use the scratch-x on the big scratches and not the whole car? Its kinda tough to find good detailing stuff in this town. I finally found a clay bar the other day.

Car looks good BTW!

Megs #9 is some good stuff...best applied by hand.

If you want a real polish, just make sure you dont get something like "Wax and Polish in the same step!" or some sort. Your not going to find a usual polish at walmart, usually big auto stores like autozone are the best. I prefer Meguiars, but Mothers has some nice stuff.

BTW, if you are detailing your GTP, may i recomend Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step? Its a polish, glaze, and wax, specialty made for darker cars. Its available most places. Its actualy more like a Cleaner, polish, and Wax, but still very good...i actually have some sitting arround that Ill never use again if you wanted it...

You CANT layer that wax though. That wax does have a few cleaners too.

Ya i'll have to look around, the only car stores we have are checker and napa. (well the ones that would carry wax and stuff)

Whenever I get time I plan on doing this:

Wash

Clay (i have the mother's package /w clay/detailer/cleanerwax)

Scratch-x (have a few I need to get rid of)

cleaner wax

polish (if I can find it in town)

wax - meguiars gold glass

Sound good jon? Have any suggestions? If I find that 3-step one I might use that instead. Also I have an orbital buffer to use as well.

lookin good jon!! that Scrath-X stuff is only good for minor scratches, swirlmarks. Ive tried it on some scratches but it didnt work cause they were too deep. When some ass keyed my car a few months ago on the trunk, i used some Scratch-X and Megs cleaner wax and it is barely noticeable now.

Megs #9 is some good stuff...best applied by hand.

If you want a real polish, just make sure you dont get something like "Wax and Polish in the same step!" or some sort. Your not going to find a usual polish at walmart, usually big auto stores like autozone are the best. I prefer Meguiars, but Mothers has some nice stuff.

BTW, if you are detailing your GTP, may i recomend Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step? Its a polish, glaze, and wax, specialty made for darker cars. Its available most places. Its actualy more like a Cleaner, polish, and Wax, but still very good...i actually have some sitting arround that Ill never use again if you wanted it...

You CANT layer that wax though. That wax does have a few cleaners too.

I thought the wax (Deep Crystal System Step 3) was a pure Carnauba Wax??? It doesn't say anything on the bottle about having cleaners in it. Sun of a...so what kind of wax do I need to buy if I want to apply multiple coats? I'd rather stay away from anything that has to be applied by a high speed machine since I don't have the skill or the machine to do so, I do have a good 10" orbital waxer though and plenty of experience using elbow grease. Oh, and I'd like to stick with Meguirs since I've always had good results (I spent about five hours applying the Deep Crystal System and it worked great...or so I thought).

Whiteout - honestly man, if you can find Meg's Pro linueup, get #26, high tech yellow. They bottles are tan rather than red like the rest of the megs lineup. When its layerd, two is enough. 3 or more is never notciable. 2 coats does give a deeper shine, more glossy finish, and actually beter protection.

They 3rd step is a carnuba wax, as in it doesnt have any chemical sealers. This means, that usually, it gives a deeper richer darker shine. Ones with chemicals usually protect better, but sometimes arent as rich. Thing is, IIRC, im pretty sure it has some type of cleaner in it....or the "pure" carnuba wax isnt durrable enough to withstand multiple applications. The deep crystal system is amazing, i recomend it to anyone actually. Great start!!!

sl3196 - That looks really good. Though, id add another wash after the clay, to be safe, just a quickie. Lastly, I wouldnt recomend the cleaner wax. Espc. trying to polish after it...youll just remove anything you actually put down. Megs gold class is awsome too, have some of that here as well. Your orbital buffer would actually be AMAZING using the megs deep crystal 3 step. As I said before, if you cant find it in town (check napa, we dont have checker), i have some sitting arround you can have for a few bucks+shipping.

Jeez, i need to get that detailing forum going!!!