Security systems and foglights

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Forgive me for ranting on and on about the 92 but its quite different from mine so i have a bunch of questions on things, need parts, need to fix a shitload of stuff...

Anyway the car has two security systems, one is aftermarket. This is a hidden switch which cuts off the fuel. The other is something with the steering wheel... in the mirror it says if you turn the wheel left it locks the system and to unlock it you have to turn the wheel right...

could these two systems be reacting with each other?

And at night I noticed the LOCK DOOR button on the drivers side door is always lit up no matter what... so is this part of the system? Im just afraid that it will drain the batttery, it does have a red light that flashes as well.

Also, both foglights are out. It could be the bulbs but for both to be out its odd. Maybe a switch or wire that needs to be replaced? I want to put in round fogs so i will have to do some wiring and modification.

Just take out the bulbs and look at 'em before you start re-wiring stuff.

Both of those security systems sound aftermarket, unless you're descibing the park lock that all cars have.

Those earlier GP's like that have a 'security lighting' system.. basically would illuminate the interior/exterior lights for a certain amount of time after the car was shut off, or if a door handle was pulled while the car was off.

As far as the one switch light staying on, does it stay on for HOURS? or just for a few minutes? I don't know about those GP's, but the earlier luminas and regals would illuminate the instrument cluster and switches in the doors for like 30 seconds after you closed the door.. don't quite understand the point of that, but it was there, and I highly doubt the GP's had that.

If it stays on, sounds like something is crossed somewhere.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, it has that security illiumiination, mine has it too (95) i guess its more of a convience lighting.

What is this park secuirty? is that the one with the wheel? It has a decal in the visor from GM.

the only thing that i can think of is that when the door is locked under the aftermarket one, the lock door stays on as a warning that the system is on? Its very annoying. The owner never said anything about it though.

Your '95 doesn't have the same security lighting. The interior lights just come on for '94-96.. courtesy illumination or whatever they called it.

The park lock is.. well when the car is in park, the steering wheel locks. Pretty much every car has it.

Guest Anonymous

I guess the park lock isnt it.

You turn the wheel left and a ring goes off and it cuts the fuel off to the ignition. In order to unlock this you have to turn it right when turning the key and it unlocks and you can start. Im not so concerned about that ttho, its that damn door lock always being lit up.

I guess the park lock isnt it.

You turn the wheel left and a ring goes off and it cuts the fuel off to the ignition. In order to unlock this you have to turn it right when turning the key and it unlocks and you can start. Im not so concerned about that ttho, its that damn door lock always being lit up.

Is this a FACTORY item/sticker you see? Cause I'm pretty damn sure the factory lock doesn't do anything with the fuel system. I do know that if the key doesn't turn, turning the steering wheel left or right will unlock the ignition.

Almost every car made has the steering wheel thing.. I dunno where you're getting the whole fuel shut off thing though.