ramps or jack stands?

THe_DeTAiL3R

i have some rhino ramps that are sitting under my cutlass that is getting the steering system worked on and they have supported the motor weight with no problems at all.

I bought these yellow steel ramps with perforated trac-holes for $25, they're great. The rust = more traction! I bought them after I drove over a set of these POS ramps my dad had. The up-ramp was always slippery, and the top was cupped, not flat. And the top of the ramp was a little steeper. Lets say up up...DOWN! in the '90. No damage. I have no preference though, but jacking it up is a hair easier to do.

the air dam on my LE rubs real bad on my ramps....that and the top is too small so i drove over them....grr...the throttle is too touchy for that shit in my car

i'll stick with jack stands...even though they're leavin their mark on the underside of my car

I bought a set of "Michelin" jackstand today that were on sale. They are bigger and stronger than my old ones (they go 20" high and support 7000lbs each vs. 16" and 2 ton :wink: )

I think I'll just put some pieces of metal or wood on the rusted area to distribute the weight of the car onto the jack stands.

Guest TurboSedan

I think I'll just put some pieces of metal or wood on the rusted area to distribute the weight of the car onto the jack stands.

just be careful!! maybe you should put the jackstands in front of the trailing arm....that's what i always do.

just be careful!! maybe you should put the jackstands in front of the trailing arm....that's what i always do.

.. I do put them there, but that area is REALLY rusty. When I set the car down it sounds like potato chips :lol: :shock: .. it still holds it up. Thats why I think I should rest it on a small (4"x4"?) sized piece of wood or metal so the jack stand doesn't dig into the rust.

Does anyone know how thick the metal is in front of the trailing arm??