ramps or jack stands?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I think I heard once (I forget where) that jack stands are safer than using ramps. Is this true? :confused:

I've been using jack stands all the time but we've got a set of ramps kicking around that we've never used. I think they would be easier to get the back of the car up higher off the ground to take off the gas tank.

Can you even get a W up on ramps? I'm partial to jackstands myself. You don't run the risk of driving the car too far over the front or the car rolling down off them. I've heard of people who've driven off the front edge before, but I'm sure they were drunk at the time. I inherited a set of ramps and I couldn't get my old GA or Cavalier up on them because the front valences were too low, so I threw them out...

iuno i can get mine up on the front but the rear mufflers scrape a lil only when comin down from the ramp so iunno

i would use both to be honest never can be to safe

Jeremy

I've seen tooo many episodes of those ER shows where people were crushed from the car coming off the ramps. I don't own them and never plan to. I own a jack, and 3 SETS of stands, I'll take the extra time to be a little safer. (IMO)

Guest TurboSedan

jackstands all the way. i've never used ramps so maybe i'm partial. just use at least two (2) jackstands :) i usually raise the car with a hydraulic jack and a small piece of 2x4 on the jackpad, then i place a jackstand on each side of the car right in front of the trailing arm. for a fuel pump get the car up as high as you can get it so long as the car is sturdy/secure of course.

I use jackstands. I couldn't get my W-body Cutlass up the ramps.

I once tried to put Penny's old 83 Cutlass on ramps and drove right over them. Getting them out was a big mess. After that, I vowed never to use them again, at least not without a spotter.

what do you mean you can't get a w up on ramps? my dad perfers the ramps better and yells at me when I don't use them. Personally I prefer my jack and the heavy duty stands, with blocks behind the wheels. I feel safer that way.

what do you mean you can't get a w up on ramps?

I dunno, I just couldn't. Not the ramps that I had which look like any other metal ramps I've seen.

The front overhang is too long for those ramps. The bumper would hit the ramp before the tire even got close. Now that my car is lowered, I doubt it could come close to going up any ramps.

Depends what the job is to me. Simple oil changes and such, ramps are cool. Always with e-brake on and bricks behind the rear wheels.

Jacks are cool also as long as they are under a safe part of the sub-frame.

Many moons ago, I did have a Camaro roll down the ramps on my shoulder area though. Good thing I'm big boned or I would've been crunched.

Safety is always paramount to me now.

Depends what the job is to me. Simple oil changes and such, ramps are cool. Always with e-brake on and bricks behind the rear wheels.

Jacks are cool also as long as they are under a safe part of the sub-frame.

Many moons ago, I did have a Camaro roll down the ramps on my shoulder area though. Good thing I'm big boned or I would've been crunched.

Safety is always paramount to me now.

I dunno, I just couldn't. Not the ramps that I had which look like any other metal ramps I've seen.

The front overhang is too long for those ramps. The bumper would hit the ramp before the tire even got close. Now that my car is lowered, I doubt it could come close to going up any ramps.

we have the plastic rhino ramps in the garrage. My cutty gets on there just fine...maybe it's the brand you used??? My dad bought them b/c you can't use the jack on my sister's golf....no place to jack it up except on the sides...

Am I the only one with a car that's high enough to not require a jack/ramps when changing the oil?

nope...if i'm in a hurry i can do it w/o jacking it up, but i prefer to have more room to work.

Am I the only one with a car that's high enough to not require a jack/ramps when changing the oil?

Nope. I never jack up my 89 to change the oil. I never jack up the 94 either. I didn't have to jack up the TGP, but it was PITA with that airdam in the way.

I wonder if these plastic ramps are low profile enough for the TGP's airdam to clear? Anyone try a TGP on ramps?

I use both. For the cars, it's always stands. For the Gwag, it depends on what I'm doing. If it's just a quick fix, I throw it on ramps, set the e-brake, and chock the back wheels. If it's anything more than a few minutes, I break out the stands. Oil changes don't require anything on that behemoth.

I wonder if these plastic ramps are low profile enough for the TGP's airdam to clear? Anyone try a TGP on ramps?

they rub just a hair w/ my Fiero, i wouldnt think the TGP is lower than that. I'll take a height measurement tonight when I get home.

btw I picked mine up @ pepboys or somewhere

Hmm.. lots of mixed oppionions here.

What I want to do is change my gastank, so what I was thinking is if I could drive the rear wheels onto a ramp..

I might just get a set of bigger jackstands and a bigger jack, my stands can only go 1.5ft high and the jack like 14" or something.. :? I could always put some 2x8 wood or something under the jack though..

The jacking area on the rocker (in front of the rear tire) is so damn rusted I'm afraid my little jacks will bust through the rust and kill me. :shock:

Hmm.. lots of mixed oppionions here.

What I want to do is change my gastank, so what I was thinking is if I could drive the rear wheels onto a ramp..

I might just get a set of bigger jackstands and a bigger jack, my stands can only go 1.5ft high and the jack like 14" or something.. :? I could always put some 2x8 wood or something under the jack though..

The jacking area on the rocker (in front of the rear tire) is so damn rusted I'm afraid my little jacks will bust through the rust and kill me. :shock:

Don't jack there, then. Is there somewhere else on the frame, at all, that might support a jack?

we have the plastic rhino ramps in the garrage. My cutty gets on there just fine...maybe it's the brand you used??? My dad bought them b/c you can't use the jack on my sister's golf....no place to jack it up except on the sides...

I've got the Rhino Ramps too and I love them. Unless your an idiot its about impossilbe to drive off the end of them and the slope on them is such that you could get a corvette on them without scraping any valences (at least it shows a C5 being loaded on the packaging with nothing scapping). They hold something like 10 tons so there's no worry there either. They're great for doing oil changes as mentioned and other general work on the cars underside that requires both wheels off the ground, but I still prefer my jack for doing and wheel/suspension work.

Oh, the Rhino Ramps are also only $20-25 at the store.

how come no one can get theirs up on ramps?? I use ramps all the time, its easy getting it up into the wheel divots in the ramps. The one time is used the jacks was when i *tried* to do my front brakes. i like ramps better