All-motor beast or boosted monster

slick

All Motor or Boosted  

1. 1. All Motor or Boosted

Well, im kinda stuck on what to do. I knew that I need some headers bad, those manifolds are killing me right now. But in about a year, i kinda want to know what im gonna do. So, here are my choices:

1: Turbo this current set-up that I have. Right now, i CAN pull upper 14's as it sits right now, and before the turbo would come, it would probably be mid 14's.

2: Get another complete 3.4 and tear it down completely. Almost no part of the engine would be left untouched. Most of this I can do myself(all the headwork, manifold work, etc. I would convert to the newer style intake manifolds with the detached TB so i could get a larger one).

Either way, right now it would be mated to my current tranny, because its plenty strong enough to hold the power, and i don't really feel like messing with a 5 speed swap at the moment.

So, cast your vote, and tell why.

Also, how can i nix my vote, that way mine doesn't count, so i can see exactly what everyone is saying.

Engine:

1995 Crate engine running on 1993 wiring and computer

FFP computer chip

Shaved and ported heads on thinner head gaskets (est. compression: 10.3:1)

5-Angle valve job

Ported Exhaust manifolds

Ported Intake manifolds

Tapered TB

K&N drop in filter

MSD 8mm Plug wires

FFP dogbone

180 Thermostat

Rapidfire #8's

2.5" Exhaust with high flow cat

Cone filter intake(most likely considered a WAI, but does help)

Transmision:

4T60E with 4T65E-HD internals

3000 RPM stall torque converter

2 Shift Kits( one was custom made)

3.73 gearing

I'm probably missing a few things, but go to the cardomain link.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. If im gonna get much more faster, im gonna have to add boost. But then again, i wonder how much i can get out of a fully built up 3.4 dohc.

I've heard of an auto 3.4 going 14.15 in the 1/4. Have you ever raced your Z34? Maybe you could tear down the engine, mill the heads for higher comp. ratio, balance the pistons and crank, maybe get some new cams? I don't know if there are cams available for a 3.4. Turbocharging the engine would probably be difficult as I'm sure there aren't any 3.4 Turbo kits available, and a custom one would be very expensive probably.

I've heard of an auto 3.4 going 14.15 in the 1/4. Have you ever raced your Z34?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18061

(15.4 cause of a missed shift and other factors..)

I don't know what all else you could do to your engine n/a (I'm no engine expert), but I think it would be cool if you could get it into the 14s easily without putting a ton of effort. Sure your car can probably hit mid-high 14s right now, but you'd have to have a perfect launch. Plus if you made it into a mid 14 car n/a you could take away Aaron's time.... and yours is an automatic! :mrgreen:

Transmision:

First off, who, what, where, when, why, how did you get the 4T60E built with 4T65E-HD internals? Where did you get the parts and how much did it cost?

Secondly, I say turbo the 3.4. I've seen it done before and it probably wouldn't cost very much to do it.

Transmision:

First off, who, what, where, when, why, how did you get the 4T60E built with 4T65E-HD internals? Where did you get the parts and how much did it cost?

Secondly, I say turbo the 3.4. I've seen it done before and it probably wouldn't cost very much to do it.

Talk to 4spdz34 about that. He had that done to the car when i bought it. Basically, the 4t65e and the 4t60e are the same cases, but different internals.

I can get into the high 14's without a perfect launch. I just had a really bad day, and the launch didn't help.

As for milling the heads for higher compression, thats allready been done to these heads.

I've read somewhere that there thinking about making a set of cams for this car, but I could have been wrong. Any info on this would be great.

headers of the right size, then see.

i'd do nitrous before i went boosted as well, you dont need that power all the time, and the cost of a turbo setup would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I got a question about the headers. I know that there are/were headers available for the newer style 3.4's. Why won't they fit my 3.4? What are all the differences of the two motors/engine bays that won't make them fit? If its not too awful much, i just might buy a set and get the to work.

Hmm... So even if i fixed the exhaust port problem, they may not fit in the engine bay then. Do you know exactly where they don't fit or has no one tried yet?

umm, turbo it :D

there are a few stage 1 packages out there ... for the grand am 3400 motor ... but do you have $3000?

its simple if you can do your own shit. try nitrous ... that'll give you a good reason to rebuild :P

I'm a n/a fan, so I say keep building on it. You can always run higher compression, 13* retard if you havent done it, maybe even play with the intake timing some to take advantage of higher compression, headers will be a huge plus. N/A all the way

Boost the sob, you can always turn it down for runnin cheap gas and boost it way up on race fuel, plus you wont hurt MPG much with a little boost rather then high compression.

-Jeff

Throw some boost in the mix, after dropping the compression some. This is my plan when I pick up a DOHC(not for a W'...going in a rwd volvo sedan or wagon...yeah, I'm a fan of refrigerators/boxes on wheels :wink: ). I'm trying to get a 0 mile crate engine from my school, but keep getting the run around every time I ask about buying one from the school or making a donation or whatever to get one of the 6 untouched crate 3.4's we have. :oops:

Guest TurboSedan

fuck NA, you will be passed in a street race, and even more disapointed at the track. how far could you go without boost? low 14s? maybe BIG maybe high 13s? the ONLY 3.4 DOHC car i've ever ridden in was timg's, so maybe i'm partial.

i say stay na and get some headers and some drag radials. you can get cams made right now go over to 60degreev6.com and search in the dohc forum. its like 500 and takes about 4 months. u gotta have core to do it though. i'm not much of a fan of boost its like cheating. don't use sissy juice either

Ok, looks like the N/A is winning in the past few replies. So, get new cams and mess with the timing a little bit. Also, headers is an obvious choice.

Depends on what you want. Im going NA now because of the space in the W body, and it being FWD. 13s aren't going to be a problem for anyone serious about tweaking this engine. My 5 speed obviously is an advantage but I dont see the auto having too much trouble with 13s other than a stock one (not the modded one in this situation).

Yeah, my auto has no trouble keeping up with a manual, or atleast can keep up pretty damn well. On the stock wheels and tires, i can get the car to chirp the tires in third gear, if that means anything to you :D

well the gearing is still gonna be your downfall, but changing the shift points would probably help as well (i know the 3.73 puts the engine at higher RPM for shifts with the stock shift points). The real issue is making more power at higher RPM, and then shifting it at the higher RPM.