head unit

bigbill23se

has anyone installed a headunit into a 97 or newer gp? is there something i should look out for or try to avoid?? is there anything crazy that i should know about?

Do you have steering wheel controls? If so, they won't work. I recommend buying the PAC-SWIX, it will make them work again. Can be a little bit of a pain to program, but its nice to have.

It's gravy unless its late 99+. For some reason they require a relocation of the stock radio to another location of the car(GM crappy design, something to do with the airbags).

It's gravy unless its late 99+. For some reason they require a relocation of the stock radio to another location of the car(GM crappy design, something to do with the airbags).

Uhh.. no! It fits in the stock location just fine.

I think he meant that you still have to have the stock head unit in the car somewhere because they made it so the airbag system is non-functional without it. Stupid design, if that is true.

i dont have the steering wheel controls so thats good, but whats this non sense with the airbag about?? why would they have an airbag system that wouldnt work without the stock radio?? thats just stupid. and i dont have the bose system

why would they have an airbag system that wouldnt work without the stock radio??

It's probably not just the airbags. I've heard somewhere that a lot of the OnStar system is in that radio, along with a tiny mic or something. Can anybody back me up on this? It's all just hearsay...

why would they have an airbag system that wouldnt work without the stock radio??

It's probably not just the airbags. I've heard somewhere that a lot of the OnStar system is in that radio, along with a tiny mic or something. Can anybody back me up on this? It's all just hearsay...

Ummm.. ClubGP has a thing for this. It has to do with Passkey. Everything is functional without the stock radio. There are quite a few 99+'s in GACGP with aftermarket radios.

I think most new GM's are like this. I was at HH Gregg talking to the guy who does the stereo installtions. He did one on a newer Cavalier. He had to relocate the stock stereo to the trunk with this special wire harness. He said something like the car wouldn't work without the stock radio.

My question is, why in the hell would GM do something like this? Your car can't work without the goddamn stereo in it? What if I was some amish person that didn't want a stereo in my vehicle? Would they just say no, we cannot do that?

Ummm.. ClubGP has a thing for this. It has to do with Passkey. Everything is functional without the stock radio. There are quite a few 99+'s in GACGP with aftermarket radios.

That makes sense.. why would GM make a radio that controlled essential functionality of a vehicle?? But stranger things have happened...

Don't listen to anything that anyone tells you at Worst buy or Circuit city or wherever you're getting your deck installed, all they tell is lies. First of all, all GM cars equipped with onstar need the stock radio to work, so you need a special harness. If you have a normal system 2000+ you will loose your chimes if you remove the radio thats it, there is a harness for this also. The only reason why they tell to relocate the radio is because they are stupid and they listen to rumours of idiots who used probably cut the airbag wires in the back and because they think GM connected the air bag system to the radio. Its even in the cavalier manaul that if the radio is removed the only thing that won't work is the chimes. Another thing that will be affected is the Oil life monitor.

I think basicly 99-down GM cars are not affected by this.

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/2kaudio.html

only with the old interface did you have to relocate the headunit. that was the harness with like 10 feet of wires. now you can eliminate the stock head unti alltogether with a small interface that mounts behind the radio. it's like 70 bucks, but worth it.

Don't listen to anything that anyone tells you at Worst buy or Circuit city or wherever you're getting your deck installed, all they tell is lies. First of all, all GM cars equipped with onstar need the stock radio to work, so you need a special harness. If you have a normal system 2000+ you will loose your chimes if you remove the radio thats it, there is a harness for this also. The only reason why they tell to relocate the radio is because they are stupid and they listen to rumours of idiots who used probably cut the airbag wires in the back and because they think GM connected the air bag system to the radio. Its even in the cavalier manaul that if the radio is removed the only thing that won't work is the chimes. Another thing that will be affected is the Oil life monitor.

I think basicly 99-down GM cars are not affected by this.

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/2kaudio.html

Mines a 2000 and I did not lose the chimes!

I think he meant that you still have to have the stock head unit in the car somewhere because they made it so the airbag system is non-functional without it. Stupid design, if that is true.

If i remember from my days of being an installer.... the GM head unit is tied into the Onstar system (if equipped) and not the airbag system, it is a completely different stand alone system for the airbags...

if your car is not equipped with OnStar, then you should be fine... unless of course you have the Bose System, or any of GM's "Premium Sound" packages, which would then require you to Re Wire all your speakers (in most cases) due to the factory amp. It is also suggested that if you do this, pick up new speakers all the way around as bose tends to use 3 or 6 ohm woofers in all thier aplications. If they use a 6 ohm, you will be alright, but if they are 3 ohm (which they usually are) then you run the risk of frying the internal amp in your deck...

However, i will say that i could be wrong as far as GPs go, but most other GM cars tha i have worked on (cdilac, olds, ect.) are set up like that...

- Justin

shit,k should really read through the rest of the comments... lolz, sorry, i tend to over look the blatently obvious... VATS would make sense.... lol

- Justin