custom intake!!

bigbill23se

has anyone made a custom intake for there car? i have a 97 grand prix with a 3.1 and havent had any luck with finding one. the guy who had the car before me put in a bigger airbox from a 3.8 engine i think it was a buick and i took the top off to look at the filter and didnt feel like fighting with the top to get it back on so i just left it off but if anyone has any suggestion for making one it would be greatly appreciated

I custom made my intake. I took a piece of HVAC tubing(an adjustable arc/angle one), wrapped it in aluminum tape and it works nicely. I believe it's about a 3inch diameter too. I used a silicone coupler to attach it to the throttle body, 3in as well. (Fits on snugly). I suggest sealing/welding the joints on the tube for added sealing and durability as well.

Check mine out: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/205441/4

It's ghetto, but it's been working for about 8 months now. :)

I think RSM has one, but that was way too expensive for my taste. My total for that was about $70 at most.

The one I used, you twist it and it will make different degrees of arcs. I picked it up from Home Depot. Mine hasn't lost structure and was amazingly sturdy due to the joints and the aluminum tape helps with the ruggedness a little bit. Don't use PVC, it'll warp under heat and eventually fall off the TB after a while. I've tried it before...

Simple: Ebay :lol:

Go to the Auction Watch section, theres a post called 3.1 and 3.4 Cold Air Intake that has an ebay link in it. Search the guys items for sale and you will find one (the one in the post has since finished). I paid 30 bucks for what you see there.

haha, my airbox has the bottom cut...

yeah...

:roll:

Same here. Cut out where the snorkle piece is. Angled to face the corner of the car for maxium ram-airage. +15hp :lol:

Go to the Auction Watch section, theres a post called 3.1 and 3.4 Cold Air Intake that has an ebay link in it. Search the guys items for sale and you will find one (the one in the post has since finished). I paid 30 bucks for what you see there.

Did you get yours from "Intake Power?" I got one from him for $35 and he sent me the wrong pipe. He didn't ask me to send it back, and sent me out a new one immediately. I still have the "wrong" pipe, but it doesn't have much of a bend to it. The WAI doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the "seat of the pants dyno" department, but it sure sounds a hell of a lot cooler whenever I crack 'er open WOT...

Actually I got mine from a guy named chromeintakes. He was pretty helpful in getting mine. And your right, they do make it sound way cooler. I didn't notice any negative change in performance, but I can't say that it was positive either, so oh well.

Did you get yours from "Intake Power?" I got one from him for $35 and he sent me the wrong pipe. He didn't ask me to send it back, and sent me out a new one immediately. I still have the "wrong" pipe, but it doesn't have much of a bend to it. The WAI doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the "seat of the pants dyno" department, but it sure sounds a hell of a lot cooler whenever I crack 'er open WOT...

I did on my old cutlass. The pipe was too long but I just cut a few inches off and it fit great!