Signal Switch Replacement?

supreme_style21

Anyone want to enlighten me on replacing this SOB? Signal has basically stopped working, unless I obviously pull back on the stalk. By time the signal comes on, the brights flip on. So its time to repair.

Its in the '94GP. Has the radio controls in the wheel. Never worked the the SIR system.. kinda worried about blowing the thing off, or screwing it up. But it can save me a few hundred bucks, so I'm gonna attempt the repair. What am I going to need to do the job? I know I need a steeringwheel puller.. anything else? GM part #'s?

I'm going to try to follow the Chiltons instructions, as I'm a n00b at this job, but first hand advice would be more welcomed! (The Chiltons kinda scares me with the SIR system, as its pretty vague)

the only special tool that you should need would be the steerong wheel puller. other than that just disarming the airbag is the most important. i can give you some directions or hint if you need them

Pictures! Just what I was looking for. Thanks a million!

Do you happen to have the part number for that switch? I'm gonna attempt this on Thursday when I go back home. My luck, something will be screwed up by time I'm done and I'll be screwed.

And what does this 'bulkhead' connector look like?

Damn, it's too late to go out and take apart my dash to snap a pic. Look for a gigantic white connector bolted to the firewall (where the harness passes through) near the steering column. Actually, follow the wires on the steering column to this connector. It's for the ignition switch. On one side is the signal switch harness and the other is the wiper switch harness. The steering wheel control wires are included on the signal switch harness as well. The wires for the radio controls run down the column and detach from the signal switch.

I had a part number for a 96 Lumina switch, but that one didn't have the steering wheel controls, so I'm not sure about the part number for one that has the controls.

I wanted to snap more pics from under the dash when I swapped columns on my Regal, but it was around New Years and I don't have a garage, so I was freezing my ass off. I'll try to update my document with some pictures of the connectors and such under the dash tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck to ya!

Okay, I snapped pics and updated my writeup. I was wrong about the bulkhead being white and at the firewall. It's black and to the right of the steering column. I also snapped pics of the Airbag connector and the RSWC (they're called "Redundant Steering Wheel Controls") connector as well.

Any more questions, don't be shy...

Again http://www.users.uswest.net/~ace69/column/94upsignal.htm

Perfectly awesome! I'm headed out the door to get buttraped by the dealership as I write 'em a $100 check.

I figured I would just postpone repairing it, save some money, and deal with one side not working... but just as I was leaving the dealership, the right side joined the left side and stopped working. :evil:

I looked up the part numbers on GMPartsDirect dot com for a 94 GP, 95 Regal, and 96 Loomie. It gave the following:

With Info Center: 19005032

Without Info Center: 19005031

The part numbers were the same for all 3 vehicles, so I'd assume the "Info Center" they speak of means the Steering Wheel Radio Controls.

I looked up the prices of each. $46.34 for the switch with the "Info Center." $34.20 without. Sounds a hell of a lot better than dropping a whole bill at the stealership. I'm going to update my write-up again with these part numbers. I guess you could call it a work in progress.

Mods: We should make a sticky topic in the General section pertaining to the signal switch issue since it's brought up at least once every other week. Either that or add a section to the FAQ with a link to my write-up :D ...

Damn, the newer ones are lots more complicated than the older ones. I repaired mine last week in about 25 minutes.. Cleaned the contact plates, and bent them back, and now the signals work like they are new!

I ended up paying 79 bucks after running it under my employers account. Saved about 20 bucks and paid less than any other place had it in town, so I walked away happy. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

You mention not letting something move.. the SIR coil I think.. what happens if it does?

Part number with steering wheel radio control matches the 'info center' one you gave above 19005032

You mention not letting something move.. the SIR coil I think.. what happens if it does?

There's a flat wire inside of the clockspring that is loosely wrapped. You don't want it to be wound too loose or it will break when you turn the steering wheel. Conversely, you don't want it to be too tight otherwise it will snap off. I just made sure to place a reference mark on the inner and outer rings. I guess you could put a piece of tape across the 2 rings to hold it in the right spot as well. When I had the Regal's column out, I messed around with the one from the old column and it wouldn't move without deliberately trying to move it. I replaced the switch in the Lumina with the column still in the car, and I had no problems with it moving...

Maybe I need to quote the Hayne's manual verbatim on how to set it right...

Yeah I read that in the Chiltons manual as well.. it wasn't to clear as to whether or not it was EASY to move.. thats all I'm concerned about. As long as its not easily moveable, I'm alright.

I'll be posting tomorrow requesting the procedures required to repair a blown SRS system. 8)