failed E-test

test4echo

I should have read the thread sooner.

When I went for e-test I had a cone filter on and the guy said that those aren't good for e-test. I would definatly put the stock one back on.

Also does this place you are taking it to have a big fan that blows air into the engine bay? This gives it the effect that you are driving on the highway, rather than sitting there sucking in hot engine air..

Holy Crap C-Bad. Thats exactly right!

I do have a new custom cone air intake on it now.

And YES the garage does have this BIG ASS fan blowing directly into my engine bay!!!

Maybe it is the combination of those both that are causing me to fail.......mmmmm

test,

took the test again today after doing *most* of the tips listed here.

Failed again. 3rd time.

I'm just gonna go Kill me some greenpeace people now.

No just kidding.

I did however see a huge improvment.

I passed everything with flying colours except on Hydrocarbons.

Still to high.

So temp sensor is next.

test,

And the saga continues...

Well, fourth e-test done.

Changed the CTS and the t-stat yesterday.

Someone had mentioned a bad CTS will cause high HC.

Failed again.

Going for an automatic pass now...with a hundred bucks in hand.

test,

not sure if you have tryed yet, pull the EGR off, clean out both the egr and plenum opening with carb cleaner and a rag, might bring ya emmissions down a little more. You sure will have the most tuned up motor on here :lol:

-Jeff

not sure if you have tryed yet, pull the EGR off, clean out both the egr and plenum opening with carb cleaner and a rag, might bring ya emmissions down a little more. You sure will have the most tuned up motor on here :lol:

-Jeff

:lol: You got that right...gp90se!

Car runs fantastic. So fun to drive now.

Its almost like me and my car understand each other now.

I just have to "think" GO, and she takes off.....lol.

As to your Idea,

Yea, DOHCRagtopguy suggested I Clean the EGR out. I did too, torn it right down. It actually did help my NOX reading. Much lower now. So that tip, actually did some good:-)

But still HC is double.

Pass is 64ppm, my car has been hovering for ALL 4 tests around 130-140.

Nothing I have done so far has made any impact on lowering the HydroCarbon ppm.

So even though I've checked and rechecked the CAT, I am suspecting either the O2 sensor or the CAT or both.

I'm not getting any funny smells from the exhaust, and tapping the CAT, there are no funny sounds.

But, It could have just started failing and no symptoms yet except for high HC ppm readings.

It HAS to be one of those.

Either way, when I finally DO pass, Ill be having a block party thats for sure.

test,

Glad to hear that tip did you some good. Sorry to hear that it still failed. At this point I don't know what to tell ya anymore.

Pain in the ass emissions tests!

Sounds like you’re having the same problem I did. I failed the test 6 times before I passed. I did everything imaginable: oil & filter, plugs & wires (swapped my Accels for some stock wires), new ignition module, cleaned my EGR, new PCV & PCV catch can, new timing belt and idler pulleys (had gone bad, & belt started to walk and shave itself off, then the belt jumped a tooth.) swapped a bad injector (cylinder 5 was not firing), GM Top Engine Clean & CRC, disconnected charcoal canister and plugged the canister purge valve vacuum line. Still failed. I ended up going to a dyno shop with their own emissions test equipment. One hour and $85.00 later, dude said to me, “your car runs like a top, but you have a crappy converter.â€Â

I had tapped on mine to listen for loose rods or pellets, and heard nothing, but I guess it just stopped doing its job. I passed the test 10 min. after the converter was installed.

On the upside though, with all that work, Booyah! I didn’t know our cars have THAT much get up and go! 8)

Manny I think your right, I do believe my Cats probably gone.

Just no symptoms yet except for High HC.

Its funny cause your post sounds exactly like my situation.

Had all kinds of peeps look at my car and drive it to help out, they all said the same thing, "Holy Crap this cars kicks some ass"...hehehe.

I never did like cats......

More of a dog guy myself.

But, at least I know my cars in top shape and can have comfort on the line when those ricers pull up.

I can't wait to smoke em,.....

test,

• 7 years later...