Series II 3800 S/C

Uniquedreamz

I took the Mrs down to basic auto today to look a t a 97 bonneville. The ad stated it was a bonneville SE full load. Long story short it had no HUD or sunroof, but it does however have a S/C L-67 (even has a little black plate on the trunklid says supercharged). Other than that it's white out, biege leather in, has some of the SSEi fascia but just says Bonneville SE (moulded into the door panels).

Is this the same motor that the GTP's run??? And if so could a guy soup' this up to produce similar results as a well massaged GTP??? :wink:

Also the odometer read 248k KM. Even based on hiway miles is that getting close to re-build time??

Bonneville SE's were the stripped down models. If you wanted all the goodies you had to get an SSEi, and if you wanted all the goodies minues the supercharged motor you needed the SSE. You should be able to tell that its an SE by the front end, the fog lights should be spaced at the corners of the front end, not in the center like the SSE/SSEi. The car should also be lacking the ground effects package of the higher level SSE/SSEi, and have a chrome strip running the length of the side mouldings.

And, yes as previously stated the car has the same powertrain as a GTP, and can thusly be modified as such. With close to 150,000 miles on it I would start to worry about little things like tires, brakes, suspension, electrical, etc...giving you problems rather than the drivetrain. If the engine was treated even half way decently it should be fine internally, same with the transmission. The nose cone of the supercharger however may be approaching its limits unless its been properly taken care of, and thats big money.

Personally, I'd keep my eye out for a lower mileage SSEi. You can find some pretty decent ones for around 5-6 grand, and they're a ton cooler looking than the SE's, not to mention they really are fully loaded.

This car is kinda weird. It says its a SE but has the SSE nose ( driving lights about 1' apart either side of front plate) the ground effects are like the SSE but not as full as the SSEi. I think we're gona pass on this one anywho....the guys pretty firm on $8500. :shock:

I know where I can scoop a '02 GTP with a little over 200k KM for around $1500 more.

Yeah, $8500 is a complete ripoff even in Canadian dollars. The car has been smashed or played with if it has that front end. A supercharged SE should have the same body as a regular SE. Thats what makes it an SE instead of an SSE/SSEi.

I don't believe the Bonnie SE was Supercharged. A buddy of mine has a '98 Bonnie SSE with the n/a 3800. Were the SSEi's in '97 even Supercharged?

97' was an odd year. Pre 97 you could get a Bonneville SE or SSE trim package. Checking the supercharged option added an i the SSE package, thus making the SSEi. But in 97' you could your SE or your SSE in supercharged form, thus there were four trim levels. SE, Supercharged SE, SSE, and Supercharged SSE (i.e the SSEi). After 97' things got wierd, the SSE became the SLE and the SSEi was still the supercharged version of the SSE (SLE), but the Supercharged version of the SE was no longer available. Basically it was a one year package and they're very rare, and yes the L67 was available in 97'. If it wasn't there are an awful lot of 1-off GP's, PA Ultra's, and Riviera's running around.

While looking for a low km SSEi i found this . I know I know :twisted: "the Enemy"

I saw one of these lay down about 10' of rubber( was a standard) and bitch-slap an auto Z-34 from a red light (the Lumi had 2 people the SHO was loaded with 4 adults) :oops:

I talked to the guy via phone on this one and he said it's pretty quick but he's in his late 60's and said he's only selling due to leg strength lacking to operate the clutch. :shock:

I only have 2 *VERY HUGE* reservations about taking a serious look at this one.

1) The wife will be able to outrun me :cry:

2) :evil: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS !!!!!! :twisted:

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=GKRYM920046357&issr=1&yfr=1993&yto=1997&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=0&pto=0&dm=1&dp=4&mk=FORD&md=TAURUS&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=15&vid=1306121